Updates "Hi Artemis, it's been a long time!": China's Chang'e 3 lunar landing mission

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
No one's watching? IT'S ON THE MOON! Landing occurred at 13:12 UTC.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Interestingly the landing site is at 19.51 deg. West, 44.12 deg. North - actually well to the east of Sinus Iridum and into Mare Imbrium. The crater Laplace F is about 40 km to the north west.

And first photo from the lunar surface since 1973! :hailprobe:

CE3157.jpg

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Interestingly the landing site is at 19.51 deg. West, 44.12 deg. - actually well to the east of Sinus Iridum and into Mare Imbrium. The crater Laplace F is about 40 km to the north west.

Understandable, if you look at maps of the lunar surface that looks like a quite big area with no big craters whatsoever. If you do your first landing on another celestial body you're surely not going for Hadley Rille, do you?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well done, it sure made a long time nothing landed on the Moon, as NASA is focusing on deep space, the asteroids and Mars.

I hope this opens a new era of lunar exploration, and that we will live to see a new serie of manned landings and maybe an outpost.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
In case someone want's to do some ground tiles :p, here's a quick mosaic of some of the descent camera frames I assembled:

51t5.png

I corrected the proportions to have square craters. Scale is unknown.
There are some more distant frames that could cover a larger area.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've decided to have a look how US news organizations are covering the first lunar landing in 40 years.

Note the difference between international and domestic editions of CNN. My first thought was Apollo 11 coverage in Pravda.

Attachments

• cnn-us.png
    cnn-us.png
    393.3 KB · Views: 46
  • cnn-international.png
    cnn-international.png
    449.1 KB · Views: 44
  • nbc.png
    nbc.png
    505.2 KB · Views: 45
  • fox.jpg
    fox.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 44

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
To be fair, an unmanned rover is many times less interesting to the average person than the first manned lunar landing. It doesn't help that today is also the Newtown massacre anniversary and follows another shooting (in the same district as Columbine no less) yesterday.

Question1: was MSL landing last year the top story of the day for any of those sites? I don't remember, but I doubt it.

Question 2: was MSL landing the top story of the day in Chinese media last year?

I don't remember anyone on the MSL thread checking to see how it was covered in foreign media. Just saying.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
My first thought was Apollo 11 coverage in Pravda.

Though this is certainly an important accomplishment for the Chinese space program, it really isn't as momentous an occasion as Apollo 11 was for the US, and for humanity as a whole. It also doesn't help that, as boogabooga posted, it's the anniversary of a massacre of elementary school children. I'm sure that if and when the Chinese send a manned Lunar mission, there will be much more coverage.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Here's a photo of the rover on the moon's surface:

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To be fair, an unmanned rover is many times less interesting to the average person than the first manned lunar landing.

On the flip side though, it has made front page on reddit today. Twice. See attachment. Since reddit seems to have mainly 20-30 U.S. demographics, at least kids have interest in space :) .

Question1: was MSL landing last year the top story of the day for any of those sites? I don't remember, but I doubt it.

Except we're getting a U.S. Mars probes regularly now, and this is the first one after 40 year hiatus -- and Chinese at that, whom the U.S. views as its main competitor. This is why reaction of U.S. media is extremely interesting.

Attachments

• reddit.png
    reddit.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 34

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here's a photo of the rover on the moon's surface:

:thumbup: Cool shot, although why is it so reddish looking? Is there something odd about the camera, or is it just a rough image?

I feel like this will be a very famous photo someday.

:hailprobe:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
A wild guess:

The reddish hue is typical of a webcam with all settings on auto or color temperature badly set. The dark sky might be fooling the autogain settings, so you get some overexposing.