Updates "Hi Artemis, it's been a long time!": China's Chang'e 3 lunar landing mission

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
The people who made the set for those pictures obviously copied the set that the Americans and Russians used to make their fake moon photos.

jk :hide::leaving:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
The Chang'e 5 proposed mission objects strikes me as a demonstrator for a manned mission with the rendezvous in lunar orbit with the departure stage and the sample return before TEI can take place.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Chang'e 5 proposed mission objects strikes me as a demonstrator for a manned mission with the rendezvous in lunar orbit with the departure stage and the sample return before TEI can take place.

It would mean that the Chinese have done their homework.

Somewhere in the final reports on the Constellation program there is a comparative analysis of different modes for a Moon mission -- they ended up concluding that the optimal mode is dual-LOR. It's been a while since I have read that (or run the numbers myself), but the basic argument goes like that:

The delta-v between LEO and LLO is about 4km/s, which means that the mass of payload is roughly equal to the mass of EDS(*). So if you have to split the mission in two launches (because you don't have a big enough rocket), there are two options:

EOR+LOR: First launch: Crew+CSM+LEM to LEO. Second launch: EDS to LEO. Rendezvous, transfer to LLO. Rest of mission like Apollo.

Dual-LOR: LEM+EDS, transfer to LLO. Second launch: Crew+CSM+EDS, transfer to LLO. Rendezvous in LLO. Rest of mission like Apollo.

The advantage of the second mode is that logistics is much easier. The LEM can in principle sit in lunar orbit for months (CxP had requirement of 180 days IIRC), so there is no reason to hurry with a second launch: if you have to scrub and wait 14 days for a new TLI window, you scrub and wait. In contrast, in EOR+LOR mode, a problem with the second launch (EDS) means a loss of mission, because the crew in orbit has limited consumables, and cannot wait for 14 days until the new TLI window opens. If you launch EDS first, then EDS also cannot sit in LEO indefinitely, because the propellant (LH2) will boil off.

(*) Interestingly, the same is true for Mars. If you think about it, Mars Direct is actually rendezvous on the surface. The reason why Mars Direct doesn't have rendezvous in Mars orbit is that you can launch everything directly to Mars surface thanks to aerobraking.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Do any of the pictures have a date stamp? It'll be fascinating to see how the shadows change with the rotation of the moon.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Chang'e 3 and Yutu have been spotted by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter on Christmas Day! :hailprobe:

chang_e3_FI_opening.serendipityThumb.png

before8516R_after2775R_enhance.gif

landerview_lroc_crop.png

before_after_sidebyside.png

In other news both of them are currently in hibernation for the lunar night since Boxing Day. The Sun should rise on around January 10. :zzz:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I've posted this rough outline of the mutual photography images at www.unmannedspaceflight.com

index.php

For some we only have screencaps. In some cases I've assembled the larger original frames from the various zooms shown in videos.
It's not an artistic composition, but I think it helps in keeping track of things.
Images are grouped by the a, b, c and d stops shown on maps.

Frustrating not to have complete images from the original data, no decent panorama, etc, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
From what I've read, its the camera/antenna mast not folding down.

Speculating a bit, the lack of any images from the second lunar day may indicate that trouble began earlier.
Also interesting is the fact that the rover images were mainly of the lander. Was that due to communication/storage problems?

In all, having the camera and antenna on the same assembly might not be the best design.
But that's how you learn. For a first lander+rover mission, a lot was already achieved!

:hail::probe:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
From what I've read, its the camera/antenna mast not folding down.

Speculating a bit, the lack of any images from the second lunar day may indicate that trouble began earlier.
Also interesting is the fact that the rover images were mainly of the lander. Was that due to communication/storage problems?

In all, having the camera and antenna on the same assembly might not be the best design.
But that's how you learn. For a first lander+rover mission, a lot was already achieved!

:hail::probe:

An alternative scenario that fits with the description is that one of the solar panels, which is designed to flip into the rover body for thermal protection (the other is left in the open for initial charging at lunar sunrise), refuse to flip back completely. That might cause thermal troubles for the rover, but well these cases are not complete black or white so let's see what happens next (remember that Lunakhod 1 tried not covering its solar panels covers back completely on one lunar night and it survived)...

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Is it that news is slow to reach English language sources, or is the rover really under secrecy?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
And another update - despite stuck for months and way beyond its planned lifetime, the rover and its instruments are still working well! (and of course the lander does too, as it should be)

Also it seems that the cause of the rover getting stuck is an electrical short circuit in the bogey control system after colliding with rocks. That's why you build two landers/rovers when landing on the Moon after no one did so in almost 40 years..... :hmm: