Hi, I'm daze!

ddaze

Reaction score
Hello! I am daze, and I am new to this game, and I find space to be very interesting. So when I found this game on youtube, I had to give it a try. Although the controls/"proper" gameplay is difficult, but I do like to concept that it's YOUR CHOICE what you do, and there are no set rules. Anyways have a great day, and if you have any tips feel free to tell me!

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Hello! I am daze, and I am new to this game, and I find space to be very interesting. So when I found this game on youtube, I had to give it a try. Although the controls/"proper" gameplay is difficult, but I do like to concept that it's YOUR CHOICE what you do, and there are no set rules. Anyways have a great day, and if you have any tips feel free to tell me!
Welcome! :welcome:

Yes, it's a really steep learning curve, but nothing compares to the feeling of completing a precise and fuel-efficient rendezvous. That's what makes it fun! ;)
A few ideas:
  • Don't get wear yourself out or get mad trying to reenter with any of the vessels that come with Orbiter. They don't work for entry!
  • The stock DeltaGlider is good for practicing orbital maneuvers and rendezvous.
  • When you're maneuvering near another vessel, go slow. Think in terms of velocity relative to the other vessel.
  • Once you get used to maneuvering and the mechanics behind maneuvers, try BrianJ's Crew Dragon or my DarkEnergy addons depending on your preference for spaceplanes or capsules, they come with ascent and reentry autopilots.
  • If you want to go to the moon, LunarTransferMFD makes it easy.
  • For interplanetary trips, take the time to learn IMFD. It's worth it, believe me! Way better than TransX.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Welcome to OF!
As far as reentry-capable ships, take a look at Altea Aerospace offerings, too.
Yeah, but they're not hands off from deorbit to subsonic.
Crew Dragon and DarkEnergy are thanks to BrianJ's amazing work in both cases, they'll even do your deorbit burn at the right time. :cool:

The XR fleet vessels have an AoA hold feature but no entry autopilot, but you still have to manage energy, crossrange, and shield temp manually.
And that is darn hard, and also not realistic. 😬
The shuttle was only flown that way once on STS-2. Not knocking the XR fleet, but they fall short (or burn up!) on entry.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
But it's very interesting to learn how to do it manually, and funny too!
True, but he's new to Orbiter. In my opinion, better to learn by watching an autopilot fly a good entry so you know what it should look like instead of trying to figure out how to do it blind. Once you know how a good entry should work, then try it manually if you want. :)