Science Higgs Boson found?

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
I love the fact that we can talk about instantaneousness as something other than an absolute ...

It doesn't appear to be considered an absolute:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/instantaneous

The definitions range between something that occurs with almost no delay to something that occurs within a time-frame that is below the minimum measurable (or defined as minimum measurable) limit.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Discovery News: 'Interesting' Higgs Boson Result to be Announced:
It may not be the long-awaited news about a Higgs boson discovery, but an "interesting" announcement will soon come from scientists analyzing data from the Tevatron particle accelerator at Fermilab, near Batavia, Ill.

Although its house-sized particle detectors have seen their last high-energy collisions, huge quantities of Tevatron data have yet to be analyzed.

Speaking at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) conference in Vancouver on Friday, Roser said: "We will be able to say something interesting, though whether it is that we don't see it or we do see it remains to be seen."

Long after the Tevatron powered down, physicists still had their work cut out. Many billions of particle interactions had been recorded by the CDF detector and stored for later analysis. By sifting through these data after the fact, a signal has started to reveal itself.

The signal appears to be growing at around the 125 gigaelectron volt range -- within a range of energy that LHC scientists are also seeing a "bump" in their datasets. This just happens to be one of the predicted energies that the Higgs boson may have.

{...}

thumper235

Reaction score
I know I will never be able to have an understanding of physics like I want too. Being that I may not be smart enough to handle the subject like most, it doesnt stop me from spending countless hours reading and trying to learn about it.

Higgs-boson has been such a tease. Seems like a certain points we here re-assuring information that it will be found or they are close, or then I hear we are 95% sure it does not exist.

I also am owed a 50 Dollar bet with the LHC and global destruction. I have to wait 5 years though for the blackhole-bet that is supposedly going to appear. Some quack thinks that at or just after 5 years a blackhole will appear.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I also am owed a 50 Dollar bet with the LHC and global destruction. I have to wait 5 years though for the blackhole-bet that is supposedly going to appear. Some quack thinks that at or just after 5 years a blackhole will appear.

A good deal, the likelyness of a black hole appearing is one to a few googols.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Discovery News: Higgs Boson Finding is Near:
US-based physicists said Wednesday that their experiments confirm those from a major European atom-smasher's that have narrowed the range where the elusive Higgs boson particle could be hiding.

The results come from the now-defunct Tevatron collider, which closed down in September after nearly a quarter century, though physicists continue to analyze its data in the hunt for the so-called "God particle."

{...}

Keatah

Reaction score
I think it's time to watch The Void again.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How would we know the higgs boson is not there and not some other particle possibly WIMP?

Sky Captain

Reaction score
So, when we should expect Higgs field manipulators for our jetpacks to hit market?

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Next: "Help! Something friggin' evil is coming through!"
imp.gif

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess we'll need to accelerate research on the BFG. :p

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Fermilab: Tevatron scientists announce their final results on the Higgs particle

Universe Today: Tevatron Targets Higgs Mass:
{...}

Even after analyzing the data from 500 trillion collisions produced over the past decade at Fermilab’s Tevatron particle collider the Higgs particle has not been identified directly. But a narrower range for its mass has been established with some certainty: according to the research the Higgs, if it exists, has a mass between 115 and 135 GeV/c2.

{...}

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Seems they catched it for good this time ;)