High-res planet textures in archive (tree) format

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Here are the links to the high-resolution texture packages compatible with the release candidates (and hopefully the final release). When I find time I'll do a nice web interface, but in the meantime, here are the raw links.

The files are in 7z format and split into fragments of 4GB to help with downloads. You need to download all fragments for a given planet before installing them.

The files should be installed from inside the Orbiter root directory. They should automatically install into Textures\<planet name>\Archive\*.tree

These files completely replace the low-res versions shipping with the RC packages. Before installing them, it may be a good idea to back up the low-res versions in case something goes wrong (e.g. mv Textures/Earth/Archive Textures/Earth/Archive_lores).

The MinorBodies package only contains the textures for those bodies that are not already contained to their full resolution in the RC package.

Note that the "Map picker" interface for downloading a regional subset of the high-res tiles currently won't work with the archive format, since Orbiter doesn't support multiple archives for a single planet, and currently there is no way to merge sub-archives. So for now it's all or nothing. (You can still download packages from the map picker interface, but these packages extract into a large number of individual tile files, rather than the monolithic archive files. They are still perfectly valid and can coexist with the archives.)

Note that you have to download and install these packages into an NTFS partition. They are too large for FAT file systems.

Earth:

Moon:

Mars:

Minor bodies (Enceladus, Europa, Io, Phobos, Vesta):

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Josh again for providing his server for these large downloads. Once the release goes live, it would be good to have some more mirrors online to share the load. If anybody wants to volunteer or has suggestions, this would be more than welcome. There will be torrents as well, so I hope there will be lots of people seeding.

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thanks for this! I went ahead and made this a sticky thread. :thumbup:

birdmanmike

Reaction score
Thanks, starting to get them. Just a query - are these higher res than the previous as used with the beta? For example - The Moon high-res un-archived previously was 7z parts 1 and 2 of 4,096,000 and part 3, 1,719,584 (on disk after download before un-zipping). Now the Moon is 7z 3x4Gb and 1x2.6Gb about, 4 parts and those archived.
So a bigger download but does it then unzip smaller than before to make the archived textures? Or what do I not understand - sorry to be obtuse.

Thanks

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
That would have been quite an old Moon package. The latest one on http://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/moon.html consists of 3 fragments.

The packages of the archive files are larger, because the compression is not as efficient (first the individual files are zipped to build the archives, then the archives themselves are zipped), but after unpacking the archive files are substantially smaller than the individual quadtree files.

Edit: scratch that first paragraph, you already had the correct Moon package (I thought you were talking about 2 fragments).

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello,

is there any link to just one huge file for downloads? or maybe one for package? I have a fast internet connection and it's quite easier to let it download the package in one or just 3 or 4 files instead of 16

Thanks in advance!

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I found this "monolith" on Mars (hi-res textures). The co-ords are approx 129.5E 7S

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's no monolith. Those are black and rectangular. This is just a weather baloon. Nice catch though.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Exact location: 129.079E, 6.395S. I nudged the DG to the top of it using the scenario editor. Great viewpoint!

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Exact location: 129.079E, 6.395S. I nudged the DG to the top of it using the scenario editor. Great viewpoint!

I see those all over the moon, best theory for them was UFOs flying over the planet when the planet was being scanned. ;)

KKwN0fu.jpg

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Traces of an ancient civilization in Orbiter ! :lol: :lol:

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Or a "WOW!" signal? I am interested to know why these exist. I can see an anomalous value in the elevation data causing it but there seem to be anomalous points surrounding it (see screenshot below). Are these extra points Orbiter interpolations or are they also real anomalous values in the data? Also, how to get rid of them. They kind of spoil the immersion. I can see how they could be removed manually but given that they have also been seen on the Moon there could be lots of them everywhere. They could take weeks to find. Maybe a kind of pop/crackle filter would work, similar to the type that removes surface noise from sampled LP recordings?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I've been trying to download these textures since the beginning of August. Some of them seem impossible to download (Moon1, 2, 3 and Mars1).
I use FDM download manager, it says "unknown network error", it resets a 10 seconds timer and it keeps on like this.
Should I just keep trying?

Did any of you have problems?

Last edited:

llarian

Reaction score
I've been trying to download these textures since the beginning of August. Some of them seem impossible to download (Moon1, 2, 3 and Mars1).
I use FDM download manager, it says "unknown network error", it resets a 10 seconds timer and it keeps on like this.
Should I just keep trying?

Did any of you have problems?

Hey Ripley, How goes Italia?

I had a lot of trouble getting the files, too. Most of them required trying about six times each. I didn't use a download manager as I find them somewhat less than effective. Since I am still working through my testing of RC4 I haven't noticed much of a difference. Perhaps once I get everything working together.

It would be real helpful if torrents were available. I have had zero problems trying to get files with BitTorrent.

Good luck.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Went perfect for me, I downloaded the files from the 7th-10th of August, went fine although were downloading at 1/2 my internet speed, I started downloading two at a time instead which maxed it out :)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I've been trying to download these textures since the beginning of August. Some of them seem impossible to download (Moon1, 2, 3 and Mars1)....
Ok, all HiRes textures downloaded and md5 checked!

-------------------------------------

I have this cloud problem, both with default LoRes 2016 textures and with HiRes ones. Look at the left clouds, they are so blocky:

uQCBUUF.jpg

Scenario is Views -> Atmospheric haze.
Rotate the view as to look at DG's belly.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have this cloud problem, both with default LoRes 2016 textures and with HiRes ones.

I can confirm this with standard distribution textures (I guess this is what you mean with LoRes).