Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I had a lot of trouble getting the files, too. Most of them required trying about six times each. I didn't use a download manager as I find them somewhat less than effective. Since I am still working through my testing of RC4 I haven't noticed much of a difference. Perhaps once I get everything working together.

It would be real helpful if torrents were available. I have had zero problems trying to get files with BitTorrent.

Good luck.

BTW the official high-res textures are available as torrents (and, in fact, torrents are recommended) -- links are on the official Orbiter 2016 download page. :)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok. My first time for hi-res textures. I used the torret to get the moon ones. So I copied into C:\Orbiter2016\Textures\Moon\Archive

It replaces the default ones. But It looks the same.

Iacomus Maximus

Reaction score
Is there some kind of 'smoothing' that was done to the hi-res textures? I flew out to Devil's Tower from China Lake (full SCRAM in the XR-5 - good practice monitoring temps and speed - anyway...) I got all the way out there and couldn't find it.

Reaction score
I have this cloud problem, both with default LoRes 2016 textures and with HiRes ones. Look at the left clouds, they are so blocky:

uQCBUUF.jpg

Scenario is Views -> Atmospheric haze.
Rotate the view as to look at DG's belly.

Hi Ripley

Hopefully this is one of several scenarios where I've hand-corrected the cloud textures - the issue is present in the base image from which the cloud textures have been generated. See http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=540114#post540114

I've submitted the modified textures to OH Mods, but that was over a week ago, and I guess the queue hasn't been checked recently by the admins <gentle nudge Xyon/GaryW etc?> since it's my first upload.

The corrections are in the cache format, I used texpack.exe to re-compress them into the archive format.

Edit: in fact, here is that scenario in my Orbiter 2016: any better?

Attachments

• Atmos Haze cloud.jpg
    Atmos Haze cloud.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, it's one of the more obvious ones with a lot of pixellation and hard edges. I'm no graphic artist - I just used some manual blur, smudge and occasional heal in Gimp. Here's what it looks like in the original (attached)

I didn't want to mess too much with each bit, because I was working separately on the level 9, 8 and 7 versions of the affected tiles, so needed them to still look the same.

It was all a bit ad-hoc - I just saved each scenario where I noticed issues, then hunted down the area in a scaled-down version of the source images (with a numbered grid overlaid to work out the tile location).

In an ideal world, someone could examine and edit the actual source images for re-processing into the tile tree format. If no-one else wants to, I guess I could, and then submit them to Dr S for subsequent processing....

Attachments

• Atm haze orig.png
    Atm haze orig.png
    443 KB · Views: 28

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So these are higher quality than 2016 stock? Do they work in the stock Orbiter or do they require the Dx9 client?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ok. How do you install them? I used the torret to get the ones for the moon and using regular graphic it appears they are the same
texfolder.jpg

hires lunar
tex1.jpg

default lunar
tex2.jpg

So is there a way to make another 2016 orbiter using the installer. It seems to only make an Orbiter2016 folder

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
If what you mean is having multiple Orbiter installations, no, you cannot do it with the MSI installer.

MSI installation instructions

Run the Orbiter2016.exe file after downloading. This will extract and launch the installer dialog which guides you through the installation process. This method installs Orbiter as a standard Windows application, and provides desktop shortcuts, a start menu entry and uninstall option. You can only install a single instance of Orbiter.

You can however, if you download the ZIP package :thumbup:

Read here:
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/mirrors/orbiter_radio/base_help.html

And you can save HD space by sharing textures among your installs.
Read here:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=21471

BTW, I'd like to hear an answer about your textures problem too.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've had the torrents for both Earth and Moon running for twelve days now, and have only managed to get 21MB of Earth and 898MB of the Moon. I can see dozens of seeds on both, but can't seem to download from any of them most of the time.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I've had the torrents for both Earth and Moon running for twelve days now, and have only managed to get 21MB of Earth and 898MB of the Moon. I can see dozens of seeds on both, but can't seem to download from any of them most of the time.

I would double-check that your router's port forwarding is configured to forward incoming torrent peer requests through its firewall -- check out this page for details.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
ok. How do you install them? I used the torret to get the ones for the moon and using regular graphic it appears they are the same
texfolder.jpg

hires lunar
tex1.jpg

default lunar
tex2.jpg

Take a closer look at the file sizes -- the default texture files are 266 MB and 250 MB, but the high-res textures are 11.6 GB (43x larger) and 3.6 GB (14x larger). :) You won't see a difference from high orbit because Orbiter uses the default lower-res textures at long distances anyway. You should see a big difference up close, though.

As for how for how install the high-res textures, there is a link to the installation instructions on the texture download page.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That's because you're looking at the stock landing pad textures and vessel textures, not terrain textures and elevation maps. :) Try looking at the runway and ground textures while landed at KSC or from low altitude while flying around on the moon, for example.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I took a DG off the pad around 100 meters and flew around both it looked the same either way.

I just downloaded the moon. Do I need to be running it in D3D9?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes. I have 2 installs one with default and one with hi res.