Project HOTAS - A new add-on to provide comprehensive Joystick support

micro_g

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello All-

I have enjoyed flying with Orbiter on and off since some quite early version and it is time to give something back to the community.

I always find the build-in joystick support quite minimal and the use of FlyByWire + Joy2Key a bit too fiddly. I wanted something better and more integrated so I got on and did it.

I have a first cut version which I am willing to share with a few volunteers to collect early comments. This is not meant to be a beta test, I am interest in collecting constructive suggestions on the features.

The plan is to provide a feature complete version at a later (unspecified) date.

The HOTAS add-on features currently included are :

• Support of up to 4 Joysticks (It should be plenty for anyone)
  • Fully configurable via configuration file:
    o Axes can be mapped to any thruster group or control surface (including trim surfaces)
    o Buttons can be used to send any key combination (including numpad-/!)
    o Virtual Axes (use joystick buttons as up/down controls)
    o Hat support
    o Camera support
    o RCS throttling (Map axis full scale to fraction of the RCS thrust)
  • Support for multiple user–definable configurations (states)
    o You can switch, for example, between an Atmospheric and an Orbital State where each one having different button (and axes) assignments
  • Vessel-class specific configuration:
    o Each vessel can have its own configuration, it will be switched automatically you change the focus vessel.
  • HOTAS MFD
    o Displays the current configuration state
    o Current value of virtual axes

Planned features (depending on feedback)
  • Configurable Dead band and saturation for each individual axes
  • Axis transformations (axes inversion, lin/log etc..)
  • Button combinations (use a button as shift)
  • Run script action (on button pressed)
  • Configurable mapping of keys to MFD buttons (useful for bases and space station)
  • HUD (to display the current state)
  • Any other suggestion.

NOTES:
- I only tried with my single Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X so far, but since the low level support is based on the latest SDL library I do not see why it should not work with others.
- Having used a single Joystick only, there is chance that it won’t work with more than one, please move on, it should not prevent anyone for making useful comments.
- For Orbiter 2010 (100830) only

If you are interested, please drop me a private message. I’ll try to make the binaries available before Christmas. I will be off-line until mid January.

Enjoy space.
Micro_g

Last edited:

micro_g

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Update

Hi All-

I have a preview version available now.

If anyone fancies giving it a go before christmas please drop me a note in the next few days. I will be off-line for two weeks around xmas.

I have attached the manual to give everyone a better idea of what it is.

Attachments

• Hotas.pdf
    611.5 KB · Views: 123

shmeg

Reaction score
Hi Micro,
I am interested in giving this a go..
having a battle with joy2key right now
regards\
Shmeg

rhoude57

Reaction score
Hello All-

I have enjoyed flying with Orbiter on and off since some quite early version and it is time to give something back to the community.

I always find the build-in joystick support quite minimal and the use of FlyByWire + Joy2Key a bit too fiddly. I wanted something better and more integrated so I got on and did it.

I have a first cut version which I am willing to share with a few volunteers to collect early comments. This is not meant to be a beta test, I am interest in collecting constructive suggestions on the features.

The plan is to provide a feature complete version at a later (unspecified) date.

The HOTAS add-on features currently included are :

• Support of up to 4 Joysticks (It should be plenty for anyone)
  • Fully configurable via configuration file:
    oAxes can be mapped to any thruster group or control surface (including trim surfaces)
    oButtons can be used to send any key combination (including numpad-/!)
    oVirtual Axes (use joystick buttons as up/down controls)
    oHat support
    oCamera support
    oRCS throttling (Map axis full scale to fraction of the RCS thrust)
  • Support for multiple user–definable configurations (states)
    oYou can switch, for example, between an Atmospheric and an Orbital State where each one having different button (and axes) assignments
  • Vessel-class specific configuration:
    oEach vessel can have its own configuration, it will be switched automatically you change the focus vessel.
  • HOTAS MFD
    oDisplays the current configuration state
    oCurrent value of virtual axes

Planned features (depending on feedback)
  • Configurable Dead band and saturation for each individual axes
  • Axis transformations (axes inversion, lin/log etc..)
  • Button combinations (use a button as shift)
  • Run script action (on button pressed)
  • Configurable mapping of keys to MFD buttons (useful for bases and space station)
  • HUD (to display the current state)
  • Any other suggestion.

NOTES:
-I only tried with my single Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X so far, but since the low level support is based on the latest SDL library I do not see why it should not work with others.
-Having used a single Joystick only, there is chance that it won’t work with more than one, please move on, it should not prevent anyone for making useful comments.
-For Orbiter 2010 (100830) only

If you are interested, please drop me a private message. I’ll try to make the binaries available before Christmas. I will be off-line until mid January.

Enjoy space.
Micro_g
Hi, Is your HOTAS demo still available? I have a Saitek 52X joystick/throttle combo which I would like to try with it.
Ron

Hi All-

If anyone fancies giving it a go before christmas please drop me a note in the next few days. I will be off-line for two weeks around xmas.

tantonovich

Reaction score
Hi All-

micro_g, I would also like to try this out. Can you post or send a link to download the preview?

eoin1098

Reaction score
What happened to this project. Having trouble binding my HOTAS to Orbiter controls