How accurate is the solar system model in Orbiter?

destinos

Reaction score
from the Mars wikipedia entry: "On August 27, 2003, at 9:51:13 UT, Mars made its closest approach to Earth in nearly 60,000 years: 55,758,006 km (0.372719 AU)."

If I plug that date into Orbiter, will Mars be in that position? Has anyone checked this out?

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
I can try it, but you could also try it yourself. This isn't so difficult.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If I plug that date into Orbiter, will Mars be in that position? Has anyone checked this out?

Just try it... the ephemeris module for Mars is according to the guarantee, accurate for +/- 5000 years...

destinos

Reaction score
Yeah, does Target Intercept in IMFD provide a straight-line distance to the target?

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
You could make do a nearly straight line.
But why??

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, does Target Intercept in IMFD provide a straight-line distance to the target?
You should use OrbitMFD and set REF to Mars, if you want the distance to Mars for example.
Remember though that you are not Earth, so there will be some regular change in distance as you rotate around Earth.

destinos

Reaction score
No trajectory in space is a straight line, unless you are very far from any gravity source.

Yeah, I mean negating the gravity bowing that would happen near the planets.

destinos

Reaction score
Do you want to travel near light speed?

I just meant that for purposes of a rough distance measurement between earth and mars, i was prepared to assume uniform dimensions in the solar system's frame. we're talking about dozens of millions of kilometers

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I just meant that for purposes of a rough distance measurement between earth and mars, i was prepared to assume uniform dimensions in the solar system's frame. we're talking about dozens of millions of kilometers
Was my post just skipped over? :lol:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't know why you guys are talking about trajectories. The original question regarded the close approach of Mars to Earth in straight-line distance, not a trajectory.

destinos

Reaction score
Was my post just skipped over? :lol:

Course not! All of this is pretty moot anyway as I'm at work right now and may forget to check any of this out by the time i get home!

Along the same lines, has anyone ever seen the moon at a certain point in the sky on a certain date and time, and then plugged that into Orbiter to see if the heading matches?

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Yeah, I mean negating the gravity bowing that would happen near the planets.

And the space between Earth and Mars is exactly space between planets, and also it is within sun SOI. So you will never get a straight line. Even close to speed of light it will make a very slight curve.

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
And the space between Earth and Mars is exactly space between planets, and also it is within sun SOI. So you will never get a straight line. Even close to speed of light it will make a very slight curve.
ahem...
I don't know why you guys are talking about trajectories. The original question regarded the close approach of Mars to Earth in straight-line distance, not a trajectory.

destinos

Reaction score
So I did attempt this at home yesterday but I ran into a problem with the OrbitMFD. I couldn't seem to set the target to Mars, either by typing Mars manually or selecting it from the list. I did have the ref set to the Sun, so I'm not sure what the problem was. Does it take a while to populate the MFD with data, when the target is distant? Maybe it crashed it?

Chode

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
from the Mars wikipedia entry: "On August 27, 2003, at 9:51:13 UT, Mars made its closest approach to Earth in nearly 60,000 years: 55,758,006 km (0.372719 AU)."

Orbiter's ephemeris for Earth and Mars gives an accuracy of a few hundred km. for the distance between the two. Consider it "checked out" . Same for Earth-Moon.

Reason: extensive comparison of Orbiter positions with JPL Horizons data on positions of Earth, Mars, and Moon.

Regards

Last edited:

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Regarding such accuracy, tonight when I was taking the trash out, I noticed the moon, very bright in the sky, and slightly up and to the left of it was a VERY bright spot. I suspected it was a planet. So I got an idea, I loaded up Orbiter, selected KSC (I'm east coast US, so that's good enough), and selected the current date and time in the scenario editor.

The time was correct, and it was night out, but there was no moon. I zoomed out far enough to look around and it was on the other side of the planet...... Does anybody know why that would be? Is it possible to correcty (essentially calibrate it)?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Does anybody know why that would be?
I don't know. I've just tried it now, set the date to 01/09/09 02:00 UTC (31/08/09 22:00 EDT) and it looks just like your real life observation. It matches Stellarium too. The planet was Jupiter, BTW.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Time zone miscalculation? Be sure you pressed the 'now' button.