how can i get to the moon?

bemanos

Reaction score
is there any tutorial on how to go to the moon? (with dgiv)

halcyon

Reaction score
Also a TransX tutorial here.
And yes, using Search will save you time.

dullskunk

Reaction score
Hi
I suggest you use IMFD (interplanetary MFD) or LTMFD (Lunar transfer MFD) you'll find them here http://www.orbithangar.com/browse.php
You have to work a bit on the manuals but it's worth the pain.
For example you reach a low earth orbit not too far from the moon plane and you launch LTMFD in TLI mode in Autoburn. Good luck

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Watch the video included in Orbiter.

Last edited:

Q3ark

Reaction score
Lunar transfer MFD is excellent for a beginer, easy to use and it comes with detailed instructions for use.

Killer Toilet

Reaction score
I made it to the Moon using nothing but the Orbit and Map MFDs. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way though, as that would make orbiting the Moon nearly impossible.

I still need to learn how to use IMFD or TransX, but I don't know how.

If you're that desperate to go there and not care if you crash carelessly, then simply open up your orbit, but be careful when the Earth's gravitational influence reaches around 40, as your orbit will no longer be completely stable for some dumb reason. Just pay close attention to the Map MFD to align the planes when you orbit Earth after getting the Ecc close to 0, then make your orbit larger gradually. Make sure you have unlimited fuel though. Sadly, I only know how to do it as this noob way as I don't know how to use IMFD or TransX as I said above.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
...be careful when the Earth's gravitational influence reaches around 40, as your orbit will no longer be completely stable for some dumb reason.

Not to be a downer, but there is a very logical reason as to why that happens- try watching the Orbit MFD using different REF settings to find out! I'll give you a hint, there might be some solfully important that is messing with your earth-relative orbit.

Killer Toilet

Reaction score
Not to be a downer, but there is a very logical reason as to why that happens- try watching the Orbit MFD using different REF settings to find out! I'll give you a hint, there might be some solfully important that is messing with your earth-relative orbit.

I knew that the Sun had influence, but influence THAT close to Earth?!

That must explain why the Moon is barely escaping Earth orbit at maybe 3.8 cm per year then...

So then all my planning will go to waste of me going to the moon the "right" way using minimal instruments...

halcyon

Reaction score
Sadly, I only know how to do it as this noob way as I don't know how to use IMFD or TransX as I said above.

As already stated, there's a fantastic TransX guide at the link below:
http://www.flytandem.com/orbiter/tutorials/video/index.htm

If you don't understand how certain orbital mechanics work, it's best to educate yourself before trying to give other beginners guidance.
Search the forums, plenty of great beginner guides already out there that teach the basics and then some.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score

That must explain why the Moon is barely escaping Earth orbit at maybe 3.8 cm per year then...

So then all my planning will go to waste of me going to the moon the "right" way using minimal instruments...

It has nothing to do with distance. The fact that the Earth is contributing 40% of the gravitational influence on your vessel (I believe that's what the 40 means - correct me if I'm wrong, someone) is the dominating factor.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Getting to the moon isn't all that hard just using the stock MFD's. The DGIV has plenty of fuel to get from KSC to the moon. Align planes and transfer MFD is all you really need. Getting back is a little tricky but just an exercise in basic physics.
As stated earlier, "Go Play In Space".

Dambuster

Reaction score
I've always found getting back to be far easier (not that I've ever tried going there :p) - just start firing your engines as Earth comes over the lunar horizon!

Killer Toilet

Reaction score
I've always found getting back to be far easier (not that I've ever tried going there :p) - just start firing your engines as Earth comes over the lunar horizon!

It's harder than it looks. A LOT harder than it looks.

I accidentally slingshotted myself out of Earth system., and at another time I missed the Earth completely. Maybe I could go there by burning retrograde instead of prograde extensively...

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

The sun even has influence on the surface on the earth. By its radiation of course :p, but its gravity also makes the difference between spring tide and normal tide.

But AFAIK the fact that the moon is escaping slowly with a few cm per year is caused by another effect. If I am correct, this is because the tidal waves on Earth, caused by the moon's gravity, are dragged forward by the Earth's rotation. The tidal wave closest to the moon is therefore a bit in front of the moon, and the gravity from this tidal wave acting on the moon drags the moon a bit forward, increasing its orbital energy, and making its orbit a bit wider.

The fact that the moon is in a rather stable orbit around the Earth in fact demonstrates that the sun really isn't disturbingly enough at that distance. If a spacecraft's orbit is unstable at those distances, I think the moon itself may be the major disturbing factor on the spacecraft's orbit.

Foofoo14

Reaction score
I once flew to the moon and landed on the lunar base,but i guess i kinda cheated by starting from the top of the space elevator. Basicly i waited for the closest approach of the moon then flew towards it,and doing retro and pro burns. the hardest part of it was finding the damn base, after i got me on the right track i slowed down.Finally reachin the base,but sadly i dont have that scenerio anymore. I got pictures of the treck though

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
İİ14;134690 said:
I once flew to the moon and landed on the lunar base,but i guess i kinda cheated by starting from the top of the space elevator. Basicly i waited for the closest approach of the moon then flew towards it,and doing retro and pro burns. the hardest part of it was finding the damn base, after i got me on the right track i slowed down.Finally reachin the base,but sadly i dont have that scenerio anymore. I got pictures of the treck though

The space elevator by kulch, right? Do you launched above the geo orbit? Because then you just could release yourself and you would be thrown to moon. Because your vel is higher than an orbit around earth and it's like a sling.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The sun even has influence on the surface on the earth. By its radiation of course :p, but its gravity also makes the difference between spring tide and normal tide.

But AFAIK the fact that the moon is escaping slowly with a few cm per year is caused by another effect. If I am correct, this is because the tidal waves on Earth, caused by the moon's gravity, are dragged forward by the Earth's rotation. The tidal wave closest to the moon is therefore a bit in front of the moon, and the gravity from this tidal wave acting on the moon drags the moon a bit forward, increasing its orbital energy, and making its orbit a bit wider.

You are correct that the moon's recession is due to tidal acceleration, but there are a couple errors in your description:

First of all, in English "tidal wave" can mean a Tsunami (though the term is falling out of favor because it has nothing to do with tides and is confusing).

Second of all, it's the effect of lunar tides on rock that primarily contribute to tidal acceleration. Rock doesn't have as much give as water, so water tides are more noticeable on the surface, but Earth has so much more rock than water that the tidal bulges in rock contribute most of the tidal acceleration.

EDIT: Actually, after a bit more research, the "second of all" paragraph appears to be false. But I know that tidal acceleration also applies to bodies whose surfaces consist completely of rock, so now I'm confused.

The fact that the moon is in a rather stable orbit around the Earth in fact demonstrates that the sun really isn't disturbingly enough at that distance. If a spacecraft's orbit is unstable at those distances, I think the moon itself may be the major disturbing factor on the spacecraft's orbit.

Absolutely.

Last edited: