TransX How can I make voyager2 to reach planets in the historical period?

NOMAD

Reaction score
I try to use TransX to make voyager2 to reach planets in the historical period ,but it is difficult.For example,I spent much time to change the variable to set the Encounter MJD and Close Approach of Jupiter,but I can no longer set the Encounter MJD and close approach of Saturn.I also use the IMFD for reference,but the effect is not good.How can I do? Thanks!

Last edited:

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
I remember running the Voyager missions when I was learning the sling functionality of TransX. I would probably do better now but then, I started about the right day within an hour or two of the actual launch and was within 1 day of correct time at Jupiter. I was a few days late at Saturn and something like a couple weeks early at Uranus, anfd a couple months incorrect at Neptune. This was fine with me and compared to the vast duration going between the outer planets it was a small deviation.

I think I could do better now since my skills have improved. But with that I think much of the adherence to historical timeline would be done through more and stronger mid course corrections. This means don't just adjust to get the closest approach near the sling but combine the outer and prograde to also get the sling date correct. This makes for more challenging maneuvers.