How can I quickly modify CFG and SCN files with notepad?

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem with CFG and SCN file editing.

I've always used notepad to edit my ini, cfg and scn files. Now in Windows 8 the system force you to run Notepad as administrator to do it.

This is a grat loss of time!

I have to open my link on the desktop, run as administrator, select "all the files" , search the file and edit it.. If I have to edit 20 to 30 scn files it drives me crazy!!!

is there a way to return to the old Windows 7 procedure? You open it, edit it and save it simply?

Thank you in advance

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Have you installed Orbiter using the MSI installer or extracted the folder inside the "Program Files" (C:\Programmi in your case) directory?

If yes, that folder is restricted to prevent applications messing with other applications' files, and this has been so also in Windows 7.

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
I have exctracted it in Program Files.
So you are telling me that if I move it into C:\ i'm able to avoid this problem?

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
...or you can grant yourself the read/write/modify rights on that[1] folder.

[1] C:\Program Files\Orbiter, or C:\Programmi\Orbiter, or c:\Program Files (x86)\Orbiter, or..

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
On the Hangar there is also a nice Notepad++ Orbiter-language file, to check scenario syntax.
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5749"]Scenerios Language File for Notepad++[/ame]

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions! I did the trick exactly as Fabri91 explained me.. I take into account the notepad addon for Orbiter!

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Use C:\Orbiter. Nice and simple!

Stay away from those Program Files locations completely, and stay away from C:\Users anything as well. (Basically anywhere Microsoft might mess up your permissions ... stay away from it.)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Have you considered using Notepad++ to do your edits?
Notepad++ still won't be able to edit these files without admin permissions.