How did you find Orbiter?

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I was on the open day of the university of Stuttgart, were they hav an easy sojuz-simpit. since I seemed to be talented at docking it to the ISS the guy from the university who looked after it while the open day sayd that it runs with an freeware from the internet and a sojuz-add-on. that was 2,5 years ago now. I can't imagine that this day is already so long ago - otherwise I can't imagine, that I know Orbiter only sice 2,5 years.
Now I took contact to the one who leeds that simpit-project, so I soetimes come to the University for flying, een if my joysticks at home have more functions and have more Add-Ons it's still cool to sit in that simpit.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I originally got into space by reading a book at my elementary (primary) school library about space exploration. I already had a general interest in space and all things related to science, but that's what really sent me into being interested in space. I think that was in January of 2005, I was in 4th grade. In April of that same year, I thought about how cool it would be if there was a space flight simulator that someone could install like a computer game. So I googled for a space flight sim, and sure enough, I found Orbiter.

I took a hiatus starting in early 2007 (with really short recurrences only about a day or two in length in June 2008 and May 2010), but I was really bored one day back in June 2010. I'm not really sure how, but I just started thinking about spaceflight, more specifically, space tourism and what microgravity feels like. I then remembered Orbiter. I reinstalled it, along with my favorite addons (Orbiter Sound, DGIV, NASSP, Shuttle Fleet, etc). There are a few reasons I got hooked again. One was that I needed something to be passionate for, I had spent the past year trying to start a band and failing miserably. Another was that it basically kept me sane. I was so bored over summer, I was going mad. :lol:

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I was playing around a LOT with Microsoft Space Simulator back in maybe 2000 ? I saw in the manual, the mention that Microsoft was going to be releasing addons for the sim. Considering that the sim was old, I figured that there would be a lot of cool stuff out there for it ! There HAD to be... but nope. Nothing ever got released for it.
During my search, however, I ran across a PC sim called Exoflight and it looked really cool. I joined the forums there and watched and waited as Exoflight disappeared into the ether, never to be seen again over a period of months. During that time, people kept mentioning this thing called "Orbiter" on the forum. So eventually I searched it up.. and HERE I AM !!!

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Used to play my dads copy of Microsoft Spacesim of floppy disks around 5 or 6 years ago. Was reading the wiki page for it, and noticed the link to something called orbiter at the bottom

Gumok

Reaction score
I was playing some time with other space simulators as Celestia, Universe Sandbox, Stellarium... But i wanted more... i wanted to have some personal (computer) experience with space as human not always as the god of the simulation. So i decided - google "space flight simulator".

sitha241

Reaction score
I was alaways fascinated by space and wanted to become an astronaut..I remember when I was just 7 years old I saw tom hank's from Earth to the moon and decided to be an astronaut..but my dreams went to thrash cause I have poor eye-sight..So it was summer few years ago when my friend came and gave me pile of some PC magazine's CD-s..and I found orbiter and become addict..year after I went to physics and realised that If I am a scientist and fix my eyes with laser surgery I can some day become an astronaut..so until then I will be an Orbinaut :)

OrbiterSpore

Clean Furry, of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
I found Orbiter on a site of Flash Games. (Weird, isn't it?) I was looking for space/sci-fi games and simulators when Orbiter 2010 was on the first result. Since of then i don't stop learning new things. :)

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Some guy in my virtual airline in FSX told me how to fly real Apollo missions using the real computer and stuff in Orbiter. So a dabbled. Then I came back about a year and a half ago, and jumped well into the deep end.

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
Several years ago, I wanted a game where I could fly a space shuttle. After watching some launches on Youtube, I found Orbiter. After trying to maneuver with the arrow keys, I pretty much gave up all hope of being able to do anything. Then I read the manual...

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Googled space flight simulator eons ago. Found Orbiter. Then proceeded to undertake my disastrous First attempt at a shuttle launch - I thought ORBIT NML meant standard orbit. :rolleyes:

Of course I also thought the + and - meant increase or decrease the diameter of said standard orbit, but that was before I bothered to RTFM.

Those were the days...

Last edited:

Fisherman

Reaction score
How did I find Orbiter? Well, I found it quite nice. I like it a lot.

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
A space shuttle model addon for a game called "Garry's mod"; I looked at the forum thread, and the person said it was from a game called Orbiter, and they linked it, then other people started talking about how big the learning difficulty; and I'm a sucker for a challenge.

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A space shuttle model addon for a game called "Garry's mod"; I looked at the forum thread, and the person said it was from a game called Orbiter, and they linked it, then other people started talking about how big the learning difficulty; and I'm a sucker for a challenge.

I had a similar experience. I used to play WWII online, which also had a huge learning curve - especially the air combat. Someone in the game's forums mentioned orbiter. I checked it out and loved it. That had to be 5 years ago.

I had a lot of fun with the Shuttle-A. I would drop the payload, nearly empty the fuel tanks, then switch to "unlimited fuel." That thing was a demon in that configuration.

Delta4

Hybernating colonist
Reaction score
Googled "Space shuttle simulation" and eventually got to this.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Googled "Space shuttle simulation" and eventually ended up with Orbiter. Such a clichè path, huh?

webtek

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I searched "space flight simulator" on Google, and I found this. Back then, I only knew to try to get the green ellipse over the grey circle. First attempt was disastrous. :)

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
Well... after spending weeks trying to get my X-Wing into orbit in FSX (Didn't work out so well :lol::lol::lol:) I remembered seeing this on Simviation... decided to try it out... you know the rest...

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How you found Orbiter

Hello folks,

Ive been planning on launching this thread in order to better understand how new orbinauts find Orbiter for a while, and a nice rainy Saturday seems good to me. If youre reading this thread. I would like you to post how you found orbiter (internet, other media, word of mouth) and if through the internet, I would appreciate a quick summary of what the page path looked like. I do not require information on what you were wearing at the time (MOJOEY!!!) but thats okay too :lol:.

Ill go first to provide an example:

I found Orbiter on the web searching for info on the old Microsoft Space Simulator that I had played with as a kid. The page path was something like Wikipedia Microsoft Space Simulator-see also category: Orbiter (simulator)-Wikipedia page on Orbiter, then to the main Orbiter Distribution page.

My goal in this is to figure out how new orbinauts are stumbling onto Orbiter, and from that how to better determine where to place links leading to our community.