How did you find Orbiter?

Unstung

Reaction score
I discovered Orbiter when while playing online in another (free) simulator, YSFLIGHT. Someone mentioned the game while I was flying, so I later found it and downloaded.

darian

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I was looking for a Space Simulator and ran into Orbiter. I was especially interested in finding out what realistic projects it had. I saw photos of the NASSP Apollo addon and Space Shuttle I was overjoyed.

nick10

Reaction score
I was looking in a astronomy forum a thread in which a member mentioned Orbiter as a very realistic free space flight simulator.

Ark

Reaction score
Somebody ported the Space Shuttle model from Orbiter into Garry's Mod, a sandbox physics game that runs on Valve's Source engine. Think virtual legos with physics constraints, moving parts, and more user content than you can imagine. Anyhow, someone mentioned the Shuttle model was from Orbiter, so I googled it and started the long, slow learning process.

Last edited:

gilly_54

Reaction score
Somebody ported the Space Shuttle model from Orbiter into Garry's Mod, a sandbox physics game that runs on Valve's Source engine. Think virtual legos with physics constraints, moving parts, and more user content than you can imagine. Anyone, someone mentioned the Shuttle model was from Orbiter, so I googled it and started the long, slow learning process.

Ah, a fellow gmodder/facepuncher :p

I found out about Orbiter in some thread on some tech site forum around 2-3 years ago, I first checked out it's wiki page and was soon hooked on it :p

Robsoie

Reaction score
Appreciating Frontier Elite 2 and Frontier First Encounter, i was looking to see what kind of space trading games was available in freeware category.

On some searches i noticed Orbiter being mentionned, not as space trading but as a true simulation.

Finding that intriguing, i followed some links and discovered this absolute masterpiece.

I will always remember my first successfull flight from KSC to ISS while reading printed tutorials in the same time, the feeling of accomplishment when the docking was finally done was surprising considering this is entirely virtual.

Proof of how awesome Orbiter is.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
I was looking for some FS addon on google and I stumbled onto the main site. This was back in 2006. It wasn't until early 2008 that I remembered it and downloaded it.

EnDSchultz

Reaction score
I was reading a topic less than a week ago about spaceflight on a forum for X-Plane, since I had recently downloaded an Ares I rocket for that, and someone posted a link to Orbiter...and already I'm making trips to other planets! Granted, I've gotten my ship stuck at one now unable to get it to plot a trajectory back properly...

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I actually discovered Orbiter while doing some research into create the first rockets for Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 for SimNASA in early 2001 (Jan or Feb I believe). When I first saw it I said to myself "This would be cool if we could develop our own rockets." At the time there was N-O-T-H-I-N-G in the way of development tools or an SDK.

After about a year, some very early development tools where developed thanks to Vinka, and the help of early developers like McDope and estar. It amazes me how far we have come...

I feel myself fortunate enough to have also created some of the earliest add-on spacecraft such as:

Juno rocket
Pioneer
Ranger
Atlas
Mercury
Gemini
Several launch complexs for KSC to include the Altas, Gemini, Mercury Redstone, and LC34 for Apollo.

Most of these have been repackaged by other developers into other packages...such as:

http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=757
http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=912
http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1878
http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1857

and so forth...

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen,
For anyone monitoring, I found Orbiter on an online article. I read that all you could fly was a default spacecraft and Space Shuttle Atlantis. I dismissed this, but later, a neighbor recommended it to me, so I got it. It also taught me a thing or too on computers because I did not have virus protection. After buying a whole new hard drive, I recommend DefenderPro Virus Protection :lol:!
For Mr. Brad, any chance you still have your Atlas and Gemini?

Last edited:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Hey, Star Voyager, do you remember where that article was so we can set them straight?
Yeah. There are thousands of third party addons out there. Including historical and futuristic ones. I wonder where they heard that trash from.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen,
For Mr. Andy44, I saw that article maybe 2 or 3 years ago. It was on a gaming blog, and that's all I remember.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Dang. That was awhile ago. Still. There was tons of addons out even that far back.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I found Orbiter in early 2005 when I googled MS Space Sim, and there were tons of add-ons even then. Some of these guys on this board go back to the early 2000's when Orbiter version 1 came out, and they started making add-ons immediately.

Looking at the names on this board and then looking back at old threads on M6, it amazes me how many people have come and gone since this thing started. And many of them come back. There is no better space sim out there, and no better bunch of sim heads.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I played this one Mercury simulator and fell in loved with spaceflight. I kept searching around to see if there was another space cim out there and I found Orbiter.

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
My friend Yuri was tired of me talking about FS 2004 and how much I wanted FSX so I could go into space (you CAN go above 100km, right?), so he showed me Orbiter in tech class last year.
I wasn't very interested at first, since I didn't know very much about orbital physics, but I came back to it around April after I found Go Play in Space.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Discovered it years ago searching for "free PC games", because I was bored and I wanted to play some game quickly and free. And instead I found a beatiful simulator.