SDK Question How to change Delta-Glider ISP?

sfciss01

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to change the ISP for the default Delta-Glider. I understand that, according to the documentation, because the ISP is defined for each engine within the vessel module, simply editing the config file for the Delta-Glider won't make any difference (indeed I have tried this and no change occurred).

Would I need to create a new module .dll file by recompiling the corresponding sample C++ code for the Delta-Glider with the modified ISP? If so, could anyone possibly point me in the right direction to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I can t write much in this very moment, but why not using some simple lua script? You can set the value you want for the engine you want in a couple of lines.

sfciss01

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm not very experienced in this. Could you perhaps indicate what that would involve/point me in the direction of any resources/examples?

Thanks again!

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Is the stock DG not powerful enough for you?

Maybe he wants to tone it down?

But the DG is fun with rumped up engines. I've turned mine into a torchship, making constant g flights. The Moon at 1g is ~3.4 hours away (including the flip and burn maneuver to decelerate).

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to change the ISP for the default Delta-Glider. I understand that, according to the documentation, because the ISP is defined for each engine within the vessel module, simply editing the config file for the Delta-Glider won't make any difference (indeed I have tried this and no change occurred).

Would I need to create a new module .dll file by recompiling the corresponding sample C++ code for the Delta-Glider with the modified ISP? If so, could anyone possibly point me in the right direction to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Hi Dan,

There are a few ways to achieve what you want to do. The easiest would be to use IEATMFD (link). It's an MFD that allows you to change your ship's ISP and Thrust setting on the fly.
No need to program/edit anything. Just install it, activate it in the modules tab and you are good to go. Works on Orbiter2010 and 2016

The second way is to use a lua script as Fred suggested. The API is quite extensive and there is no need to install or compile anything. (lua scripts are simple text files).
Have a look at $Orbiterroot\html\orbiter.chm →(Orbiter Scripting) for more info.
You will find several script examples in the Scripts folder.

The third way is to edit the C++ files and recompile the Deltaglider.dll
This is will grant you access to the full Orbiter API, but the learning curve is a bit steep.
Have a look here to see how to setup a development environment and check out the OrbiterSDK section of Orbiter Forum for a wealth of information on the subject.

Hope this helps
Dimitris

sfciss01

Reaction score
Is the stock DG not powerful enough for you?

Nope it's the opposite problem! Indeed I want to decrease the ISP to more realistic values to see how it might perform.

Maybe he wants to tone it down?

But the DG is fun with rumped up engines. I've turned mine into a torchship, making constant g flights. The Moon at 1g is ~3.4 hours away (including the flip and burn maneuver to decelerate).

Hi Dan,

There are a few ways to achieve what you want to do. The easiest would be to use IEATMFD (link). It's an MFD that allows you to change your ship's ISP and Thrust setting on the fly.
No need to program/edit anything. Just install it, activate it in the modules tab and you are good to go. Works on Orbiter2010 and 2016

The second way is to use a lua script as Fred suggested. The API is quite extensive and there is no need to install or compile anything. (lua scripts are simple text files).
Have a look at $Orbiterroot\html\orbiter.chm →(Orbiter Scripting) for more info.
You will find several script examples in the Scripts folder.

The third way is to edit the C++ files and recompile the Deltaglider.dll
This is will grant you access to the full Orbiter API, but the learning curve is a bit steep.
Have a look here to see how to setup a development environment and check out the OrbiterSDK section of Orbiter Forum for a wealth of information on the subject.

Hope this helps
Dimitris

Hi Dimitris,

That's very helpful thank you! I'll probably have a look at using a lua script but failing that I'll just use that MFD ;) And yes I was quite daunted looking at the C++ files.. that might be something to try in the future!

Thanks again for your help!
Dan