Question How to get into LOI?

richfororbit

Reaction score
Hi,

Using the historic missions to land on the moon, once the Mid course correction has been done, how would I go about an insertion burn? If I use the LunarMFD what is the next process?

Thank you.

turtle91

Reaction score
<Your-Orbiter-directory>\Doc\LunarTransferMFD\LunarTransferTutorial.mht

richfororbit

Reaction score
I tried the Constellation 10 scenario, where both spacecraft are docked with a rocket section, I tried the Lunartransfer MFD, if I just selected EXE and DV, and then again EXE, a burn time is initiated and a countdown, but the burn only creates an elliptical orbit around the Earth.

Was the scenario set with some kind of program to get to TLI?

It did state something about the Moon and the Earth not being equal or something.

Attachments

• transfer.JPG
    transfer.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

richfororbit

Reaction score
I made some progress, I managed to use the Lunar program MFD, after doing the plane burns for aligning with the moon. I used a somewhat eratic tutorial video, to sort of give me the pointers on that. So the inclination of the Moon was 5.06 or what ever, and some other number below 0.00.

The images below display my early steps before the new burn I did, I actually didn't select an actual target, only a heading I missed the moon.

I did my midcourse correction a day later after the auto burn which goes for for 600s, so I topped up on fuel for the MPCV. But year, took another couple of days and finally got to orbit of the moon, but crashed, as I couldn't work the LOI.

From the tutorial clip I used, the man used the trans x or something.

Fortunately, the quicksaves I have all work, as before just doing one in orbit with the rocket stage led to it freezing. And that included Constellation 9 scenario.

Could it be because some of the files are missing such as Astronauts or an actual rocket to launch into orbit.

Attachments

• triedagain.JPG
    triedagain.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 14
  • cont.JPG
    cont.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 7
  • crashedintothemoon.JPG
    crashedintothemoon.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 9

richfororbit

Reaction score
I just made it into Lunar orbit, I did a PEA 15K, fra Mauro burn a day after near Earth orbit, so a mid course correction burn on December 31 2013 exactly a day after EDS burn for the moon, and then on January 02 2014, a LOI burn using the Module, so that burn is done.

So yeah, a bit of an unstable orbit. After re-reading through the addon's thread from last year, it would appear navigation isn't the strongest point in the addon.

The corridor to the moon after the next TLI burn which is the midcourse, is that still a free return path? Also another TLI would be needed a few days later.

But lets suppose the Module packs up right there in orbit, I can use or have to use the MPCV to get out of the Moon's orbit.

I tried a constellation 9 scenario of taking off, I didn't make it into orbit without having to add more fuel. I got to express that taking off from the South pole is quite a challenge..

I did try a burn with the MPCV to leave the Moon, but wasn't able to do that. I then tried the scenario which is dated in the thirty fifth century. 3406. So I tried a burn and it did work, of course missed the Earth it was April 01.

So what would I do using an existing save set in this century to leave the Moon's orbit, the fuel of the MPCV is 3.71. Or may be less.

richfororbit

Reaction score
After trying to sync with malapert, I forgotten that by Jan 11 the terrain is much lighter than right at the beginning of the year.

The South pole region is quite an unappealing location to land. But I did a location setting change, to place the Module there so I could just land with little effort.

Orbiting the moon at 5,000K isn't a good idea to do a sync orbit. The annoying aspect of the EDS in constellation 10 is the fuel aspect, less fuel then the landing location is days away from light, and there is no computer MFD to actually land with some guidance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg_XA5K6AWY

What a depression to setup an outpost there.

---------- Post added 02-09-16 at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-08-16 at 02:08 AM ----------

I landed with a little swirly on the moon, I took off four days later annoyingly it was the dark side of the Moon, so I made it into orbit, did the setting change to place the crafts in a close orbit, and did a docking.

Undocked from the Module, and went into the TEI for the MPCV, and it did a 400s burn, far too long, ran out of fuel twice, left the Moon's orbit, did a four or five burns, top up the fuel several times and headed for an atmoshere smooch with the Earth, the paras deploy, hehe, not those Paratroopers.:rofl:

And went flying off to a Lagrange point, meh!

Then I jumped to warp 2.:thumbup: Hah! Oh wait, how could, I jettisoned it like a warp core breach. Captain Picard won't be happy, little warp capsule is hammered!

Clearly, on the serious note the craft wasn't set on a midcourse correction that would of given it a safe reentry.

Is nobody using the 4throck's stuff?

I can't be the only fanatic. I sure can't be.

I find the lunar mFD quite odd, perhaps the plane alignment was the problem. I don't know, if it was, it would stated that just like with the beginning with the Earth departure stage, I had to do so plane burns to get that inclination, and Rinclination down.

richfororbit

Reaction score
I tried the constellation 8 scenario, it freezes for a loading a quicksave. They all do this, with the exception of Constellation 10 beyond TLI.

I don't really get the idea behind it, it is a module test scenario on a Earth departure stage. A standard Lunar Surface Access module, or lander not equipt for a landing, with dark grey insulation for the fuel tanks on the descent stage.

So go to the Moon without a MPCV? I guess.