Flight Question How to stop just stop

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I was trying to land some place other then a pad. i wanted to line up and land which was a pain to say the least.

is there a button I don't know about that stop you dead or a MFD or something that will if turned on will hold you stationary over where ever the ship is or stops.

the drift is a pain on manual vertical landings with a keyboard.

I wanted to hold over a field, line up and land. When I went to try it I was all over the place, missed target almost and it was horrid. I kept drifting this way and that way RCS this TRANS that. I want to be able to hover and hold position.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5712"]HoverMFD 1.1.0[/ame]

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
im actually using it but you need a true course or target programmed in in order to old over it using hover. to hover over a field then land without any sort of beacon and you be held. Hover can do that?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
im actually using it but you need a true course or target programmed in in order to old over it using hover. to hover over a field then land without any sort of beacon and you be held. Hover can do that?

What is stopping else than neutralizing velocity? If the HUD isn't good enough, you need a MFD. If a MFD showing the horizontal velocity isn't good enough...... what is your problem?

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
ok, here is the senario in a nut shell well kinda two fold

a) you fly up to a target say football field, you stop and begin to line your self up. doing this with rcs and lin control. once you have your self lined up you program for landing. which in hover you have to set your vert speed to negative whatever and land. by doing this not on a beacon (pad) in hover you would set Cape Canaveral 1 and thats pad one.

so you drift as hover will not hold you over cause there is no frame of reference to the football field. it does not hold you at true 0 in any case. your vert/hor speed is always like .2 or .5 or something cause hover will not hold you.

perhaps I am doing it wrong but I have been using hoverMFD for a long time now and I think I got it down pretty good.

b) lets say by some chance of pure skill you do get your self programmed quick everything done so that the drift is not a issue at all. you gotta be fast. get your gear ready etc etc etc. when you do land hover will not stop that drift (in both cases in any direction) of .2 or .5 do you drag your gear/feet and start mashing buttons to stop your self.

issue a is more import then issue b. I landed in pictown (addon) in the field and B happened. I can assume thats because that sits on top of the earth surface. and my gear did not touch earth?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I'm still confused as to the issue. I've used hover MFD to land on the moon near the Apollo 12 site - no LPAD, Beacons or anything at all.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
maybe its just because of where i am landing. it was a field in pictown addon. but the issue i am finding is.

ok i line it up and still as best as I can do i can keep it stable if I am on it but I am talking about total dead stop over a target. no forward, back , up, down, side to side movement. just sitting there in the air.

my hovermfd does a perfect job of all in one decent and landing, a perfect job in getting you from point a to point b, and a perfect job at landing in general. But is there a way to program it or a way to be at a 100% dead stop say beside a building or over a place with no drift in any way.

so tell the ship stay here and don't move based on a set of lat and long or current position.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Picking a point to hover over and then staying over it is tough, at least until you build up the skills within yourself to do it. It's not like people play Orbiter to watch the computer have all the fun, right?

:tumbleweed:

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
so you drift as hover will not hold you over cause there is no frame of reference to the football field. it does not hold you at true 0 in any case. your vert/hor speed is always like .2 or .5 or something cause hover will not hold you.

perhaps I am doing it wrong but I have been using hoverMFD for a long time now and I think I got it down pretty good

Have you tried the Horizon Level AP? I find it very difficult to avoid drift without using it. I don't know what you're flying but in my case (DGIV), I usually use retro thrust to get my velocity down to something the translational thrusters can deal with, engage Horizon Level AP, line up with trans rcs and use up or down trans rcs to deal with any vertical drift I can't null out ( I know there's an AP for Alt Hold, but I,ve never actually used it. :idea:

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Have you tried the Horizon Level AP? I find it very difficult to avoid drift without using it. I don't know what you're flying but in my case (DGIV), I usually use retro thrust to get my velocity down to something the translational thrusters can deal with, engage Horizon Level AP, line up with trans rcs and use up or down trans rcs to deal with any vertical drift I can't null out ( I know there's an AP for Alt Hold, but I,ve never actually used it. :idea:

Hey thanks. I'll look into it. Hovermfd works really really well for all other applications. It's just holding 100% stable over a target off a nav beacon.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
yes i easily do hover landings with no MFDs in the DGIV but I set up my flight stick with a special mode... the most important aspects are:

level horizon- this stops the hover from imparting any translational movement, only vertical

be ready to rotate-so that you can aim the translational rcs in the correct direction

landing softly- for the last 10 meters or so i leave the hover at a 0 vertical, then use vertical RCS to land

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
be ready to rotate-so that you can aim the translational rcs in the correct direction

Especially: Be prepared to rotate your powerful thrusters into the retrograde aspect, should you need to slow down rapidly.

If the vessel has a lot of aerodynamic lift, better stall it before getting into hover flight. Such vessels are very likely to feather into the wind, its easier to keep hover flight controlled, if you fly very slow.

One special project here on my HD hovers best in terms of fuel economy, if you try twice to crash it into Earth with slightly missing it. Glide slowly and steeply with increased AOA, use air brake to assist for the high AOA flight. Shortly before crashing into the ground, about 1 km away from target, pull the stick full back, stall the craft in a shallow ballistic arc, open hover doors and tilt main engine to -90° as fast as you can, while pushing the throttle to the fire wall. Keep AoA round 90° until reaching level flight ... if you did everything right, you are now 20-30 meters above the pad, with a little bit of residual velocity. Just land quickly.

If you are too scared to pull high AOAs and only see sky...you will hit Earth after some "turbulence" or simply overshoot.