SDK Question How to use OrbiterSDK?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know what you are trying to do? Are you trying to get a compiler set up?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Trouble is, it's an SDK... If you don't know already what that is and how to use it in general, you have a long way to go.

In short, it's a library that lets you interface your own C++ code with Orbiter. It's not an editor or anything. It's code. You don't "use" it, You program against it. That implies knowing how to program. in which case, you would probably already know what an SDK is and how it works, so going on your question, I'll take the risk and assume that you don't know programing. Which means if you want to learn to use the Orbiter SDK, you best start with general programming.

However, your stated goal of "I want to make a white tank" doesn't really require any code.
In fact, depending on what you mean by "tank" it might only require a .cfg file. If by "tank" you should not mean "big can containing liquid stuff", but instead "heavily armored vehicle", it gets a bit more complicated, though generalVehicle might be a good option.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A white tank would also be easily be done, if you want to add a cylindrical fuel tank to a surface base...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Recommended route:

» Get familiar with scenario creation
» Modify simple script vessels
» Use "vessel creators" such as generalvehicle or multistage.
» Program simple stuff using LUA / script vessels
» Setup Visual Studio and get it to compile the example vessels
» Modify a C++ vessel
» Create your own vessel

Required programming knowledge goes up as you go down the list.
As others mentioned, doing a tank can be done by modifying existing vessels.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Maybe, I can make myself a white tank with Spacecraft4.

Sen

Reaction score
Recommended route:

1 » Get familiar with scenario creation
2 » Modify simple script vessels
3 » Use "vessel creators" such as generalvehicle or multistage.
4 » Program simple stuff using LUA / script vessels
5 » Setup Visual Studio and get it to compile the example vessels
6 » Modify a C++ vessel
7 » Create your own vessel

Required programming knowledge goes up as you go down the list.
As others mentioned, doing a tank can be done by modifying existing vessels.

4throck sets out a very valid path and I used almost that path many years ago (I have just returned to Orbiter after a decade). I recommend really detailed study of the dragonfly and shuttle. Ready everything you can and play with them. Learn how to modify cockpits. Learn how to design systems. Make notes of systems you want to include in your future vessel. I skipped steps 2 and 4 but I grew from a very low knowledge base using the other steps right through to step 7 using another players mesh and creating my own ship. It was one of the most exciting online journey's I have done and I loved every hour of it - and there were many many hours to get there.

Now I am advancing again through these stages although this time it is somewhat easier as I know I can do it with enough man hours of application. The first time through I did not know that and several times almost gave up thinking the goals were unachievable for me with my lack of programming skills. With lack of any real formal programming skills I find I just need a sample of code and all becomes clear. Fortunately there are samples available for Orbiter to get a start. Once you get that first vessel done you will soon be looking at original possibilities. :hailprobe: