Hubble sees magnetic monster in active galaxy.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Instead we get the JWST. or Darwin. Can't think that this is bad. Technology progresses. Once, the Ju-52 was the cornerstone of European aviation. Today, it is just a sentimental memory.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The Ju52, an aircraft I would hope to see in the UK, and hopefully the next demonstration anywhere!

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Ju52, an aircraft I would hope to see in the UK, and hopefully the next demonstration anywhere!

The Lufthansa Ju-52's had been quite often in the UK...

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/type.php?p=490

During the 70th birthsday of my hometown, Wolfsburg, they had done some flights over it in a Ju-52, i wish I had taken some photos, had a good view at the low flying Ju-52 one day.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Lovely aircraft, when I say I don't see enough of it; I mean, I don't see enough of it!!

N.

Whatu

Interplanetary Stowaway
Reaction score
Whats gonna happen to HST when it ends it life-time? Sunk in the atmosphere? ..

the JWST looks very cool... hope we have an addon for that before it reaches orbit. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Whats gonna happen to HST when it ends it life-time? Sunk in the atmosphere? ..

the JWST looks very cool... hope we have an addon for that before it reaches orbit. :p

Yes, it will get deorbited by a propulsion system, which will dock to it. A uncontrolled reentry would be too risky for such a huge object - many large parts of the HST will reach ground.

Hartmann

Reaction score
With a container protected with thermal tiles and a parachute you can save the telescope and put it in a musseum.:lol:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
With a container protected with thermal tiles and a parachute you can save the telescope and put it in a musseum.:lol:

Yes, we have one of those, except it uses wings, not a parachute. Unfortunately, it's called a "space shuttle" and will be retired before HST reaches the end of its lifetime.

Besides, there are better scopes on the way, as Urwumpe pointed out. And with the new adaptive optics, visible light telescopes on the ground can match HST, leaving space for the other wavelengths.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Yeah, but it's sad to think that after 2010 old good HST would work only several years :cry:

I think you're looking at the glass as 1/2 empty. By 2010, we'll have had nearly 20 years of service from Hubble. An amazing accomplishment.