News Hubble telescope hit by mechanical failure

BV031

Reaction score
So... what happens to astronomy if we lose it? I know there's a variety of capable telescopes up there now, but nothing coming close to Hubbles optical abilities. What would astronomy look like without it?

Tis' a shame that we spend hundreds of billions (annually!) on war and killing, yet couldn't afford to develop a replacement for Hubble. Or repair it. JWST is a joke, and can't even get off the ground. No one wants to take the risk and have their name attached to what could possibly the biggest failure of all time.

I keep hearing that Hubble has a docking ring attached to it. Well, couldn't we take a couple billion and develop and launch a gyro-assist package? Instead of a retro-rocket to de-orbit the 'scope, which is the next step. Something like a small box of gyros that would attach to the ring and take over the functionality of the failed units. Much like how you use a Mophie or auxiliary battery pack on your phone when the battery starts losing capacity.

It could be either automated or manual docking. Or perhaps be done by a crew. All that need be done is develop the box - which should be no harder than any other medium-sized satellite - and attach it with no more than 5 or so screw clamps.

Hubble telescope allows for you to stare into the great wide yonder.

BV031

Reaction score
The Hubble Telescope.

And now another Great Observatory far beyond it's prime years have joined in: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/chandra-enters-safe-mode-investigation-underway

Is any new x-ray space telescope planned? AFAIR, XMM-Newton will end its mission this year, unless it gets a sudden extension. Its already the longest space mission for ESA, with over 6800 days.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Looks like the gyroscope is fine except its measurements: It measures bigger rates than it should. Does somebody know if it is using magnetic pickups like the Shuttle RGAs did?

The HST is named after the astronomer Edwin Hubble and is one of NASA's Great Observatories, along with the Compton Gamma Ray Observatory, the Chandra X-ray Observatory and the Spitzer Space Telescope.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Could someone please change the thread title?

Everytime I see it pop up in the recent threads, I panic a little...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Could someone please change the thread title?

Everytime I see it pop up in the recent threads, I panic a little...

Well, it IS accurate right now... WFC3 is down due to hardware failure at the moment. NASA is working to switch over to backup equipment.

Slothead

Reaction score
Does anyone here know/surmise/guess/wish that the Crew Dragon or CST-100 Starliner could take a repair crew, tools and parts to service HST?
Or perform other similar functions that were formerly done by Space Shuttle?
The answer stems from the fact that the HST required a specific mount that resided in the orbiter payload bay to stabilize the telescope while being worked on. Thus my answer is a resounding NO, since the Dragon does not provide such a large mounting surface for attaching HST. While a separate vehicle could be launched to provide such a platform, your question was limited to the Dragon.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The answer stems from the fact that the HST required a specific mount that resided in the orbiter payload bay to stabilize the telescope while being worked on. Thus my answer is a resounding NO, since the Dragon does not provide such a large mounting surface for attaching HST. While a separate vehicle could be launched to provide such a platform, your question was limited to the Dragon.

Like this ?

Attachments

• HST rescue7.jpg
    HST rescue7.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 42

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

barrygolden

Reaction score
thanks for all the updates about the HST. Still making ideal altering discoveries after all these years. No sure when or if JWST will ever fly so we need to keep updating HST for as long as it will perform. Don hats off to you for your addon about this. I can say that the brains at Space X looked into how to do this and a manager from Hawthorne flew here to look at your addon. Mike did share with me some images and drawings of their plan and it was a one launch with the airlock in the truck and an arm to walk out of there as well . He did say that with all that in the truck not much room for repair parts

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Did you tell them, I recommend two launches ?

:rofl:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-48068242/when-the-biggest-numbers-don-t-add-up

Video
When the biggest numbers don't add up
Astronomers using the Hubble Space Telescope have made their most precise measure yet for the expansion rate of the Universe.
It comes out at 74.03km/second per megaparsec (a megaparsec is 3.26 million light-years). Or put another way - the expansion increases by 74.03km/s for every 3.26 million light-years we look further out into space.
The problem is that's 9% faster than expected. The BBC Today programme's Justin Webb asked Nobel laureate Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute and Johns Hopkins University, US, why the discrepancy mattered.
2h ago

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How could I be expanding ? I just lost 50lbs.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How could I be expanding ? I just lost 50lbs.

Just imagine your abdominal girth now, without this expansion. :p

I keep on shrinking which suggests, that my measuring tape simply expands too fast.