I can model, I can program...

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...but Texturing KICKS MY BUTT! I'm in the late stages of my latest project and I have put the most difficult job off till last. This is my first project to use a .dll instead of Spacecraft3 so of course, it was the C++ that was keeping me from doing much. But I've already basically built the code so that got itself squared away quite nicely. Thanks to Hielor's Wings3d :p, the modeling is something of a pleasure and even generating the texture map is fun. But building the textures themselves IS FRAKKING HARD! The first hurdle was finding the right source images to build the textures with. The next hurdle is piecing everything together with The GIMP. For example, the source image I am using for the various hull panels is a square and the map for this section is 728 pixels wide. That means each piece has to be 91 pixels wide to fit eight of them across. Well, I used GIMP's vertical guides set 91 pixels apart from each other, and ended up with gaps between the panels. Then I aligned the panels manually and ended up with an overage. Finally, I just lined the panels up with the guides then used copy->paste to carve out sections of the panels to fill in. Suffice it to say, I love developing for Orbiter, but I hate texturing with a vengeance!