Problem I Cant Fly With My Numpad Keys

Rocket_Man55

Reaction score
I have been looking all over the internet for a solution for this problem for about 2 days now.. And I have found nothing.. I just bought an ASUS g74sx laptop and it came with a numpad on the right side of the keyboard. But when i go to play orbiter the numpad keys dont control spacecraft RCS.. Instead the numpad keys act like the top row number keys that dont controle RCS. I have also noticed that there is no numlock key... i cant find it anywhere.. :( Please help me. Thanks. :3

P.S. If you need anymore info just ask. :3

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
That's strange, if the laptop has a numpad, it's got to have a num lock key. On my Asus K52Jc it's actually labeled "Num LK", and sits at the second line from the top, fourth row from the right, right above the "7" numpad key. Pressing it toggles the numpad mode.

In Orbiter, you have to check that RCS is on, and if it's in translation or rotation mode (you can see this in the generic hud view by pressing F8).

Alternatively, you might want to buy a joystick, decent ones can be had for around 50$ I guess. And welcome! :)

Rocket_Man55

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I have been playing orbiter for about 3 years now on another computer.. I also have a joystick. :3 I just wanted the numpad to work corectly.. Mostly because I am used to flying in orbiter with the numpad. I double checked for the numlock key.. It does not exist on my keyboard. :( (and it is very odd.. cuz inplace of where the numlock key should be.. there is the calculator key. XD

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Oh also.. Would it be possiable to enable numlock from somewhere else besides on the keyboard? ^.^ Thanks :3

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Ah, I see. I've found some pictures of your laptop, which is a fine machine I might add. Try pressing the "calculator" key, and see what happens.

Rocket_Man55

Reaction score
Ok well I pushed my "calculator" key and it pulled up the calculator. How depressing.. I also decided to hold Fn and push the calculator key.. and still it pulls up the calculator. :( Any other sugestions. XD Is there a way to turn on numlock from control pannel or something?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I'm starting to feel stupid. Are there any other keys on the side? On the front?

A workaround might be to make sure the numpad is enabled on startup in the bios, but that's like shooting with a howitzer to kill a mosquito. There sure is a normal way. :) (There has to be!)

Rocket_Man55

Reaction score
I know XD THERE HAS TO BE a normal way.. But i cant find it :( Im thinking about calling ASUS support.. :( I dont like talking to indian people though.. I cant understand them XD no rudeness intended for any people from india who read this.. i just have a hard time understanding indian accents) But anyways.. nope there are no keys on the entire keyboard that make any refrence to numlock :( ITS WEIRD D: How did asus make a laptop and forget numlock :(

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

p.s. I found capslock XD :p It doesent help us though :<

Rocket_Man55

Reaction score
I have marked Fn+??? keys here in blue on my netbook. Here it is Fn+F11.

All my keys on the keyboard are black.. I do have Fn keys though.. I have tried them all.. None of them are caps lock :( :facepalm:

Columbia42

Reaction score
Try holding Fn and pressing the numpad keys. On laptops without numpads you can control Orbiter spacecraft this way. Maybe your laptop is not recognizing that the numpad is there. Also try updating the keyboard drivers.

Rocket_Man55

Reaction score
Hmm...Not good. Is there any information about it in the internet? Or maybe a pic of the keyboard?

Well if you google my laptop.. ASUS G74sx.. you will see a few pictures of the keyboard.. :p Not very good quality.. but you can still see it. If you want I can post a picture of my keyboard upclose. :3 And no I have looked all over the internet for information on this laptop.. I couldent find anything :( :facepalm:

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Try holding Fn and pressing the numpad keys. On laptops without numpads you can control Orbiter spacecraft this way. Maybe your laptop is not recognizing that the numpad is there. Also try updating the keyboard drivers.

I have tried holding fn and pressing the numpad keys whial in orbiter.. the numpad keys still respond like the top row of numbers :( I will look for drivers though. :D

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I'm already looking forward to the answer from ASUS, I'm sure it will be something bleedingly obvious that we missed...

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Rocket_Man,
another (although sub-optimal) solution might be to use the OSK (On Screen Keyboard)
of your OS (Win-7, I assume). With that you can easily toggle the num-lock.
It's the key on the bottom right ;)
To get the OSK, just enter "osk" (+enter) at the Start-Menu "prompt"; I'm on a
german System right now, so I can not exactly say how this "prompt" is called at
your site.

/Kuddel
P.S.: Ever tried [Fn]+[Del/Ins] ?

Rocket_Man55

Reaction score
Hi Rocket_Man,
another (although sub-optimal) solution might be to use the OSK (On Screen Keyboard)
of your OS (Win-7, I assume). With that you can easily toggle the num-lock.
It's the key on the bottom right ;)
To get the OSK, just enter "osk" (+enter) at the Start-Menu "prompt"; I'm on a
german System right now, so I can not exactly say how this "prompt" is called at
your site.

/Kuddel
P.S.: Ever tried [Fn]+[Del/Ins] ?

Thanks for the help with the osk ^.^ I will try and use it :D