ICBM bombardment

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Yesterday, I downloaded the MinutemanII Missile from O-H. I immediately found that it was REALLY hard to do a accurate sub-orbital trajectory. However, after a combined total of about 5 or 6 hours of practice, I managed to hit The surface tile of Kourou_CSG. I use a combination of Map MFD (for the heading), BaseSyncMFD (for plane) and AeroBrakeMFD (know when to shut off engines). While its not as precise as I would like it to be, a 2 megaton warhead allows a lot of room for error.

The picture uploaded is one of my more...um...sinister moments with it...Yes, thats the VAB at Cape Canaveral.

My next goal is to actually HIT the VAB (its a nice target and is easy to find at a "distance")

Attachments

• Canaveral.jpg
    Canaveral.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 63

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
My W-38 is 3.75 MT. It actually isn't that hard to hit a target. I flew manually and hit NK. That is a small country and is a lot harder than most.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
AerobrakeMFD calculates my path for the warhead+the 3rd stage. So, I eject the warhead WELL within the atmosphere (usually at 40km) to increase accuracy

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
AerobrakeMFD calculates my path for the warhead+the 3rd stage. So, I eject the warhead WELL within the atmosphere (usually at 40km) to increase accuracy
I guess you could do that, but in don't you think it is a bit too high? You can do 30 or 20km.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How do you shut off the engines? I thought the missile was all solid propellant. When I tried a manual launch I could only control my range by the pitch angle I chose during the ascent.

A fun mission to try, BTW, is to use Sputnik's Titan II launch vehicle (which is really a converted ICBM) to launch a payload like a warhead and try to hit a target with it. With practice you can nail the hangar in the Vandenberg tile from 3000 miles away.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I'm using a minuteman II missile, its multistage and spacecraft3. So, I can stop the engines whenever I want :p. Cheating, yes, but it works

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
HUZZAH!
http://kimag.es/share/84730213.jpg
Heres what I did: Launched the minuteman missile, rotated so my compass was heading in the right direction, then pitched "down" to 88 degrees. After the first stage burned out, I pitched the 2nd stage down to 50 degrees above the horizon, and just kept burning. On BaseSyncMFD, I had Cape Canaveral targeted, but after A LOT of trial and error, I figured out that the VAB is actually about 5 or 6km "left" of the target, so I kept around 5km in the MFD. I cut engines when AeroBrakeMFD showed me that I was nearly on top. My ApA: 1.7M. After passing through the atmosphere and decelerating VERY quickly, I was a little off, So I used up my 54% main fuel left in the 3rd stage to do a final course correction. At 3km I released the warhead, and It hit.

I'm REALLY happy, although I wanted it to hit the BIG building...I'll take it. Now time to hit a window xD