IMFD IMFD and BaseApproach for ReEntry

PaulG

Reaction score
Can someone please explain how the option for Base Appoach for ReEntry and ReEntry (old) are used?

Thanks,
Paul

Peskie

Reaction score
See page 16 of the 4.2.1 IMFD manual available from the IMFD web site at http://koti.mbnet.fi/jarmonik/Orbiter.html
On that web page it says: "Manual of the 4.2.1 release do contain some essential information that is not included in later manuals." I have no idea why. The IMFD manuals are pretty poor; IMFD itself is great.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Hopefully, when jarmonik releases 5.2, which I remember him saying he would once (I think), he might re-do the manuals...

Hint, jarmonik, hint. :p

PaulG

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check it out. I agree...IMFD is great, just a bit confused on many of the options.

Tommy

Reaction score
If you check out my tutorial "Home Direct", I show how to use base approach for a direct re-entry from the moon. it's very similar returning from another planet, although you may need to increase the Ant to compensate for a longer aerobrake due to the higher velocity. You will Alt and REA can be left at the default. Increase HInt until a solution (blue lines, and extra data) is shown (usually this will be close to the PeT shown by IMFD's Map program).

Note: the Ant will vary greatly depending on the type of craft you are using. A Deltaglider type craft has a MUCH larger Ant than a capsule. The default Ant is based on a capsule, but I think it's short even for that.