Intercepting Radio signals from spacecraft

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place but hey.

Hi there is it possible to intercept the radio transmissions from saterlites or even spacecraft such as the ISS or even the mars phobes etc...

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yep, it's easily possible if you have the right equipment. A number of satellites only transmit when near their ground station, but most (including the ISS) are transmitting pretty much all the time.
The ISS (I'm guessing) communicates with the TDRDS satellites though, but they do have an amateur radio onboard too.

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
Cool what kind of equipment do you need to receive can you intercept stuff like the mars probes

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
If you just want to listen to signals from satellites, then this organisation may be usefull:-

http://www.uk.amsat.org/content/view/19/35/

They are really "radio-hams" using satellites for talking to each other, but its still interesting to "track" an active satellite, and hear it appear, and dissapear over the horizon. Its a bit cheaper than building a mini Joddrel Bank too!

For planetary probes, thats outside my knowledge.

N.

Edit: Just looked at a typical Mars probe, and they say in the high Ka band for transmission. Not much away from DBS, so a dish would do it. would need to be a big one, and wouldn't fit on the roof.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/spacecraft/communication.html

N.

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
Last edited:

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You have absolutely no chance of intercepting signals from deep space probes, no chance at all I'm afraid.

And yes, I intercept satellite signals a lot. That's through work, though. We're one of the downlink sites for AAUSAT, C3, and a number of others. We also track EUMETCAST through Hotbird, that requires nothing other than a simple satellite dish.

I'd recommend starting off by tracking things like AAUSAT as they're specifically designed to be received by anyone and the operators would love to get feedback from people all over the world on data quality and s/n ratios. I don't think they have anyone up in the north of Britain, so they might be happy to hear from you if you track the thing. Standard omni antenna can track it, although a movable yagi is much better.

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
Hi there sim what kind of hardware would i need to get started

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
As notebook suggested, I'd check out the AMSAT website, they have a lot of useful information which will help you. I can't really say the best things to use as you're probably interested in different things to me, so it depends what you want.
Needless to say, the two most important things are a good antenna and a good receiver.
For the former try this: http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/information/faqs/crow/JulAug06AmsatJournal.pdf
For the latter you'll have to search around, it's very dependant on budget. AMSAT will help there though.