Project Interstellar's system

Anroalh12

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi. One of my new year resolutions was to create the solar system of the movie "Interstellar".

Star1 = Pantagruel
Planet1 = Gargantua
Gargantua:Moon1 = Miller
Gargantua:Moon2 = Mann
Gargantua:Moon3 = Edmunds

The planets are created (it is very easy to create them). Now I'm working on Gargantua's mesh. It would be like this:
interstellar-top_0.jpg

Jeremyxxx

Reaction score
The Interstellar solar system is currently being developed, but the spacecraft within the film such as Ranger and Endurance are yet to come.

Nicholander

Reaction score
Could you show us the already created planets? They must look fantastic!

Anroalh12

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok. I will upload them on Tuesday evening beacuse I have a physics exam on Monday moorning and a Chemistry exam on Tuesday moorning also and I want to get good marks.

PetziK

Reaction score
WOW! Awesome! I am looking forward to exploring this thrilling universe!
Is there any way to simulate a warp-hole / tunnel / worm between Saturn and Pantagruel? By the way, I didn't figure out in the movie. ... is Pantagruel the black hole or is it star bending around a black hole?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
WOW! Awesome! I am looking forward to exploring this thrilling universe!
Is there any way to simulate a warp-hole / tunnel / worm between Saturn and Pantagruel? By the way, I didn't figure out in the movie. ... is Pantagruel the black hole or is it star bending around a black hole?
From what i understand, Pentagruel is the black hole, and it's its accretion disk that illuminates the system, which comes from an ancient neutron star.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
The black hole pictured is Gargantua. I missed the whole pantagruel thing, so i just looked it up, pantagruel is a neutron star Solarliner mentioned that is paired with gargantua, they are an old binary system.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I thought there was a proper Star in the system, anyway if those planets were illuminated by an accretion disk, then that's a lot of xrays.

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/17-2793-1

Someone has made the system for spaceengine, looks neat from the screenshots.

78nH6sP.png

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
Did you actually upload the system? I ask because I can't find it on OHM's list of newest add-ons.

Anroalh12

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Edmunds:
Edmunds.jpg

Mann:
Mann.jpg

Miller:
Miller.jpg

I didn't upload the images because when I'm going to upload any image on OF there's an error, so I have uploaded them to Google+.

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

From what i understand, Pentagruel is the black hole, and it's its accretion disk that illuminates the system, which comes from an ancient neutron star.

Pantagruel is the name of a neutron star that orbits the black hole Gargantua.

Pantagruel & Gargantua is a binary-system containing a black hole orbited by Miller, Mann, and a neutron star - which is orbited by Edmunds, located within a few months flight from the wormhole.

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2015 at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was 23rd Feb 2015 at 21:51 ----------

[/COLOR]Gargantua:
Snapshot_4.bmp

Last edited:

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Do you think the drone scene should be deleted from the movie as I think it is ridiculous that they see a military drone in the sky and then able to control it within a few minutes by using their Laptop, certainly it would use WIFI (not) and allow anyone to control it. I do understand the drone is supposed of have flown low because of gravitational anomalies but it is a good 5-10 minutes wasted time in the film and it is long.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
@jroly probably better to discuss the plot elements of the film in its dedicated thread, this thread is about an Orbiter add-on

interstellar discussion

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure if the NASA ship could get you there.

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6662"]http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6662[/ame]