Iran's new design for 5th Generation Fighter Jet

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Clint Eastwood sneaks into cockpit, looks for engine switch. Passing mechanic widens eyes and says: "do ya feel lucky, punk?"

Reply: "Get off my lawn."

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Are you sure, the flying plane shown in the video is not that one?

It appears to have vertical stabilisers, which the X-36 is famous for lacking. More likely it is an RC model of some sort.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
That could make for a good comedy movie - Firefox II - they send Clint Eastwood to Iran to steal this plane only to discover that it's a plastic fake when he arrives! Then he has to try to escape from bumbling Iranian agents who are trying to prevent him from exposing their dark secret.

Hot Shots Part 2 and 3/4! :lol: What is Charlie Sheen doing these days (other than coke)?

Or Airplane IV - we need to have the Otto Pilot pop out of the F-313 cockpit with a beard and moustache.

Screamer7

Reaction score
Reagan this is Ghostrider. We have a visual of the bogey. Oh no.....
Ghostrider this is Reagan, what is your status?
Raegan, this is Ghostrider. We have trouble keeping up with the Bogey. We positively identify it as an Iranian Ghaaher-313
Ghostrider this is Reagan, you have trouble to keep up with the bogey....but your plane is capable of mach 2 +!!!
Reagan this is Ghostrider, no we have to extend full slats and flaps and lower our landing gear.
It is of no use, we keep stalling. We are flying a racetrack pattern around the bogey....OH NO....
Ghostrider this is Reagan, what is happening now?
Reagan this is Ghostrider, with our last flyby the canopy blew of. The pilot attempt to eject but was unable. Wait...it stood upright now on its seat....aggg that is not pretty.
Reagan this is Ghostrider...the pilot was shredded to pieces. He was sucked in by the air intake next to the canopy.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now that you say it... I just noticed that the air intakes of the "plane" are actually extremely small even in relation to its size and positioned in a way that will make it harder to get air to the engines at higher AOAs. (Especially clean undisturbed air, like you need for a jet engine)

I somehow start to expect a coin slot in that cockpit.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Re: Thunderchicken video

The F-117 and B-2 have BIDs(Blow In Doors) one on each intake for ground operations as the Ice Cube makers (F-117 Intake grids) cannot allow sufficient airflow at idle. This thing appears to have none. Now while I cannot see BIDs, the small intake doesn't really alarm me, just look at an F-5 or t-38 intake. I can barely fit inside one of these, and the mock-up intake looks only slightly smaller. Maybe because this is a single engine AC, and there are two intakes it may get enough air. I agree that undesturbed air may be of some concern.

If this thing is a scaled down version, then the belly shows facets that might be converted into lower intakes as well. IDK.

It just looks too unlikley to fly as a full bird.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
positioned in a way that will make it harder to get air to the engines at higher AOAs. (Especially clean undisturbed air, like you need for a jet engine)

I was wondering about that... :hmm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The F-117 and B-2 have BIDs(Blow In Doors) one on each intake for ground operations as the Ice Cube makers (F-117 Intake grids) cannot allow sufficient airflow at idle. This thing appears to have none.

yes, actually many jet engines have such a Blow-in door, if they can't mount a subsonic air inlet. But this one has no sub-sonic inlet.

Now while I cannot see BIDs, the small intake doesn't really alarm me, just look at an F-5 or t-38 intake. I can barely fit inside one of these, and the mock-up intake looks only slightly smaller. Maybe because this is a single engine AC, and there are two intakes it may get enough air. I agree that undesturbed air may be of some concern.

Both are still much smaller than both examples. The F-5 inlets are each bigger than both inlets of the Iranian mock-up together. Not really much air to feed the engines and air is thrust for a jet.

FADEC

Reaction score

Brings back memories of the late 1980's. They had coin operated flight "simulators" on Grand Canary back then...

imagehandler.ashx

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Re: Thunderchicken video

The F-117 and B-2 have BIDs(Blow In Doors) one on each intake for ground operations as the Ice Cube makers (F-117 Intake grids) cannot allow sufficient airflow at idle. This thing appears to have none. Now while I cannot see BIDs, the small intake doesn't really alarm me, just look at an F-5 or t-38 intake. I can barely fit inside one of these, and the mock-up intake looks only slightly smaller. Maybe because this is a single engine AC, and there are two intakes it may get enough air. I agree that undesturbed air may be of some concern.

If this thing is a scaled down version, then the belly shows facets that might be converted into lower intakes as well. IDK.

It just looks too unlikley to fly as a full bird.

No, but what this could be is a ground handling / high speed taxi test bed. That would explain the minimal instrumentation with a low range airspeed indicator and, perhaps, the intake configuration.

If they don't have the means for scale wind tunnel testing, fabricating an ultra-cheap test article for taxi / short hop tests perhaps isn't such a bad way to go. If they decide to change something or they ding it up, grab the fiberglass repair kit and fix it up.

Of course high speed flight testing would be something else altogether, but a cheap test article to see if the thing is at all stable through take-off is not a bad start. After that, well, the thing appears to have a real ejection seat :lol:

Last edited:

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Given how long it took for the US (a country with the most money and experiance to throw at the problem) to develop the F 22 I think Iranian plane is just an early prototype of a prototype that probably can't do much more than drive around the runway.
Maybe in 10 - 15 years something workable could come out of the program if it is continued.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
If they don't have the means for scale wind tunnel testing,
So they can't build a wind tunnel, but they can build a 5th gen fighter? Don't buy that I'm afraid.

At the most this is a propaganda model, watch the vid at about 1:30 when the turntable stops. It rocks back and forth for a few seconds. I very much doubt a turntable, which would have to be strong enough to take the weight of a real fighter, with a real fighter on it, would do this...?

However, whether its based on a genuine design program I couldn't say. but even if it were, we're still many many years away from anything 'dangerous'. And tbh I dont believe its anything more than propaganda and daydreams. Looks awesome though!

As to the design, where does the weapon payload go? Or is the logic to use underwing pods and gimp its stealth profile.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Still arguing over this? It's obviously fake.

The real question is why the Iranian government chooses to waste time and money on this when they are under threat of attack by real jets. Maybe some bureau had extra money in its budget and needed to spend it in a creative manner.

Mantis

Reaction score
Now that you say it... I just noticed that the air intakes of the "plane" are actually extremely small even in relation to its size and positioned in a way that will make it harder to get air to the engines at higher AOAs. (Especially clean undisturbed air, like you need for a jet engine)

I was actually thinking the same thing about the intakes.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Say what you will about the airworthiness and politics of the F-313, I like the lines of the craft. Anybody want to make an add-on? :)

Also, a bit seriously - I don't think this concept is scaled at all. It is not a F-22/F-35 wanna-be. I could see the idea of this being mass produced as a low-tech, moderately stealthy and small fighter, designed to get in close with large numbers against a technologically-superior fighter force. Heck, why even bother putting active radar on the things? Just give it a compass steer and a receiver so they know when they are being painted.

If they are attacked with high-technology fighters that can engage N targets simultaneously, send up N+1 of these things and get them in close enough, fast enough, that several will survive to get into gun range. Once in close a smaller, more nimble jet has a distinct advantage over a big F-22/F-35 missile platform. It would be a counter to the stand-off concept inherent in Western 5th generation fighters.

This is similar to their naval doctrine of using lots of small vessels. Want to take out a U.S. carrier? Send *lots* of small boats, each with a rudimentary anti-ship missile, and saturate defenses.

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
i feel like it would have been more effective if they released some mysterious, blurry runway photos, or left it out where it could be "accidentally" seen by satellites. yeah... thats what i would have done...way more scary that way...

REAL equipment has visible refinement and surprises in detail that cannot be forged, because no one, not even a team of experts, can EVER even come close to imagining what sort of designs will be the end product from years of development.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
It may be a prototype, but unless they're going to use a 'glass cockpit' interface, I don't see how that panel could be any use to a combat fighter. I'd be interested to see if they're going to take a 'stealth' approach to weapon delivery I.E. having the ordinance on rails underneath the wings, or inside bays on the main fuselage.

Furet

Reaction score
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is very satisfied: http://www.mehrnews.com/en/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsID=1806301
“this fighter is one of the most sophisticated fighter jets in the world”

The top 10 most important features (say why F-313 is one of the most sophisticated plane): http://www.mehrnews.com/en/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsID=1808201

And why the F-313 cannot fly: http://theaviationist.com/2013/02/04/iran-plane-cannot-fly/

Not sure this plane is one of the most sophisticated, but Iranian leaders should have wait for a few more weeks: it would have been one of the most sophisticated April fool I've ever seen.
:lol: