Is a suited astronaut on EVA a spacecraft?

Is a suited astronaut on EVA a seperate spacecraft?

• Total voters

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
but still an astronaut in a spacesuit is not a spacecraft, is a human called a vhicle?? No, hes called a human!!:facepalm:

I i havn't notuced that the answer is
"Yes- an astronaut on EVA is a spacecraft."

I prefer to say that the susite is the spacecraft, not the astronaut ON the EVA!

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
the difference i see between the diver and the space suit is that the diver is still in an open system type environment.

The other guy is in a tiny spaceship, just barely big enough to fit a little boy or girl inside.

Nazban

Reaction score
Urwumpe, how the :censored: hell did i forget that!?!?!?:facepalm:
I i havn't notuced that the answer is"Yes- an astronaut on EVA is a spacecraft."I prefer to say that the susite is the spacecraft, not the astronaut ON the EVA!
How can you cal it a spacecraft, does it haveany mode of transport, the way the astronaut moves is with his limb(holding on to the station bars) or attached to the robotic arm. The suit doesnt move him, the suit protects him, thats why the suit was made, it wasnt made as a transport.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Urwumpe, how the :censored: hell did i forget that!?!?!?:facepalm:How can you cal it a spacecraft, does it haveany mode of transport, the way the astronaut moves is with his limb(holding on to the station bars) or attached to the robotic arm. The suit doesnt move him, the suit protects him, thats why the suit was made, it wasnt made as a transport.

Yes of course it protects him, like each spacecraft does it.
And like in any spacecraft, an action of the pilot is required to move. (The pilot can also be a CPU) :hailprobe:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Lets go over the requirements for a manned spacecraft.

Does it hold people/persons? (check)
Does it hold oxygen? (check)
Does it have propulsion? (check)
Can it carry payloads? (check)
Will it blend? (not check)

I'd think you could count a EVA suit as a manned spacecraft ;)

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
...Will it blend? (not check)...

Let's try:
blender.jpg

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
An eva-suited astronaut is a spacecraft. A spacecraft with a very tiny cabin.

Nazban

Reaction score
Yes of course it protects him, like each spacecraft does it.
And like in any spacecraft, an action of the pilot is required to move. (The pilot can also be a CPU) :hailprobe:
Yes, but in an EVA suit, there is no 'propulsion' system, its his limbs that are moving it physically. In a spacecraft, he does an action, which a computer inteprets and moves the spacecraft which makes it a vehicle.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Lets go over the requirements for a manned spacecraft.

Does it hold people/persons? (check)
Does it hold oxygen? (check)
Does it have propulsion? (check)
Can it carry payloads? (check)
Will it blend? (not check)

I'd think you could count a EVA suit as a manned spacecraft ;)

How does a spacecraft have propulsion?? thats only with the MMU, but a shuttle or station astronaut dont use any propulsion units, only thier limbs.
(and please dont call thier limbs as propulsion, otherwise we can call any living thing a vehicle.)

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
I was going to vote no because I like to disagree/debate with T.Neo for one, but also because, for me, a spacecraft requires the need to be able to reach 'space'.

However, by all the definitions I can find, a spacecraft is simply a 'a device that is designed to operate outside the Earth's atmosphere'. There is no requirement for getting into space or for having propulsion specifically, and cargo is not a defined requirement either. So on that front, it seems that an astronaut in a suit is a spacecraft.

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
EVA is EXTRA-vehicular activity... 'extra' is latin for outside, thus it's not activity IN the spacecraft. If the suit is a spacecraft itself then it's not an EVA by definition. Then it would be an IVA (INTRA-vehicular activity
Nerd.gif
)
:cheers:

Nazban

Reaction score
EVA is EXTRA-vehicular activity... 'extra' is latin for outside, thus it's not activity IN the spacecraft. If the suit is a spacecraft itself then it's not an EVA by definition. Then it would be an IVA (INTRA-vehicular activity )

perfect!!:tiphat:

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
EVA is EXTRA-vehicular activity... 'extra' is latin for outside, thus it's not activity IN the spacecraft. If the suit is a spacecraft itself then it's not an EVA by definition. Then it would be an IVA (INTRA-vehicular activity
That's a clever argument, however I don't think the assigned EVA definition prohibits the EVAer itself from being a vehicle. The term EVA is used in relevance/reference to the Shuttle or Station, so is 'extra' in that regard only.

I think the real point here comes to semantics. By definition an EVA can be considered a spacecraft, but for all practical intents and purposes it is not really.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
That's a clever argument, however I don't think the assigned EVA definition prohibits the EVAer itself from being a vehicle. The term EVA is used in relevance/reference to the Shuttle or Station, so is 'extra' in that regard only.
Like an extra-terrestrial being doesn't need to live in space? He can live on a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_planet"]terrestrial planet[/ame] and still be an extra-terrestrial. He is just "extra-" to the point of reference, in this case the Earth. In the case of an EVA, the point of reference is the host vehicle - ISS, Shuttle, etc.

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
@wehaveaproblem; but then you could also say the spaceshuttle is doing an EVA when it approaches or departs the ISS :)
As far as I understand it's not the suit that does the EVA, but the man or woman inside it.

@tblaxland; an extra-terrestrial defines someone not of this earth. If you google "define:terrestrial" then you will get this:

planetary: of or relating to or characteristic of the planet Earth or its inhabitants

I'm not sure the wiki's definition of "terrestrial planet" is fully accurate when they talk of other planets than earth itself. But then again, "terre" means land so... maybe :)

But then again, think about it... an extra-terrestrial... what would that exactly be if it meant "out of a planet" or "out of land"? Wouldn't all astronauts then be extra-terrestrials? (They're not on the planet while on ISS, they're 'out from' earth so to speak :) )

Food for thought :cheers:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
@tblaxland; an extra-terrestrial defines someone not of this earth. If you google "define:terrestrial" then you will get this:
"define:terrestrial animal":
Terrestrial animals are animals that live predominantly or entirely on land
That said, you win the googlefight :p

Wouldn't all astronauts then be extra-terrestrials? (They're not on the planet while on ISS, they're 'out from' earth so to speak :) )
You could say they are engaging in extra-terrestrial activity (but then so would I be if I was swimming ;)), but not that their origins are extra-terrestrial.

ZombiezuRFER

Zaktan Zanamu, margum Zavralto
Reaction score
if an extra terrestrial is something that doesnt live on the land, then we have fish who are ETs. :rofl:

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
"define:terrestrial animal"

:lol: good one :)

"define:terrestrial animal":
Definitions of terrestrial animal on the Web:

Terrestrial animals are animals that live predominantly or entirely on land, as compared with aquatic animals, which live predominantly or entirely in the water (e.g., fish, lobsters, octopuses), or amphibians, which rely on a combination of aquatic and terrestrial habitats (e.g., frogs).

Animal which lives on land.

This would make all fish extra-terrestrials in a way. They're off land :)
(I think that could work though... take this guy for instance, judging by looks alone:
strange_fish.jpg

That's a real fish... but certainly looks more like the general scary-movie concept of a little green alien :lol: )

But then... "define:Extra-Terrestrial":
Definitions of Extra-Terrestrial on the Web:

Extraterrestrial life is defined as life which does not originate from planet Earth. The word "extraterrestrial" is derived from the Latin extra ("outside", "outwards") and terrestris ("earthly", "of or relating to the Earth").

A form of life assumed to exist outside the Earth or its atmosphere.

This excludes fish from being extra-terrestrial... which is obviously contradictory to what they say about terrestrial animals.

Funny thing :)

You could say they are engaging in extra-terrestrial activity (but then so would I be if I was swimming ;)), but not that their origins are extra-terrestrial.

Yeah, I think we can fairly safely assume that the ISS crew is "A form of life assumed to exist outside the Earth or its atmosphere.", so that fits the definition :)
Or wait a second... "exist outside ... its atmosphere"? Is the atmosphere on ISS; Earth-atmosphere? Or just Earth-LIKE atmosphere? If it's not Earth-LIKE but actual Earth-atmosphere, then we're no longer outside it's atmosphere and then we may've broken the definition. But then again, when they're doing work on the outside of the hull, then that would be activity outside Earth's atmosphere and so therefore constitute extra-terrestrial activity... I think :uhh: (I love definitions, it's about the most nit-picking thing humans have ever invented I think :lol: No wonder lawyers earn so much money twisting words down to the single letter)

---------- Post added at 03:11 ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 ----------

Ding it, I got pwned by ZombiezuRFER :ninja: :)

Last edited:

ZombiezuRFER

Zaktan Zanamu, margum Zavralto
Reaction score
Ninja'd. Anyone wanna go down to the crab shack and eat some aliens?

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Battered alien with chips for me please...

This page of posts has largely been about definitions and semantics. Do you think then that the definitions will have to be re-thought or re-defined as our space exploration and so forth increases? To better reflect the objects and techniques used?