Problem Is AMSO working without Joystick?

LukeX

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm absolutely new to Orbiter. I have however some experience with Orbiter 2006 and the Apollo sim. addon.
I recently upgraded to Orbiter 2010 and man, you guys did a great job! The new Apollo Cockpit is amazing! Kudos!

However, I have a problem, which I haven't had before. when loading an Apollo scenario it starts and everything but it displays that there's no joystick found (although I disabled it!)…
So I cannot fly the vessel appropriately and the autopilot won't turn on so as soon as the propellant is burnt there's no seperation from the first stage and nothing happens?!…
Any idea what's wrong there? I already searched the net but couldn't find more but the info that it should be working without a joystick!

I hope someony could help me? ;)

thanks
Luke

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello,

Joystick is not mandatory to play AMSO, except in the following particular situations:

- If you wan't to land the LM in full manual mode.
- If you wan't to apply lift during atmospheric reentry.
- To pilot the recovery helicopter.

Now, I don't understand the problem you have. I have just tested now to load the Apollo 11 launch scenario with and without joystick enabled, without to get any messages ?!?

ACS

LukeX

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply!

Well I would have thought so either because Orbiter2006 would also work without Joystick.
The Space Shuttle eg. works properly without a joystick.…

As soon as I start the AMSO sim. it displays in the bottom-left corner:
DX8JS: No joysticks found!

Exept ignition (and I have to keep "Num+" pressed, it won't keep burning otherwise) I can't control the ship, also, the autopilot won't turn on!

I have no idea what else I could do, I already tried different variations of settings but it just won't work ;/…

any ideas?

thanks
greets
Luke

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No sorry, I have no idea at all.

As I cannot reproduce the problem by me, it is impossible to investigate. But apparently, you get a "low level" error message (DX8JS: No joysticks found!), therefore you should maybe ask directly to Martin Schweiger what can cause this problem.

AMSO is probably not guilty. I mean, recognition, initialization, etc... of joystick device is something which DO NOT BELONG to addon code, but the core of Orbiter. The only action AMSO do is to get sometimes some control level values with the function "GetManualControlLevel()". My feeling is that "Orbiter + AMSO + your system" reveal a very esoteric problem, linked with DirectX (see "DX8JS" of your message).

I say your system, because, so far, you are alone to report this.

Sorry to not be able to help you more.

ACS

Mantis

Reaction score
I've used the AMSO addon very extensively flying all of the missions multiple times and I've never encountered a situation like that. I have several PCs - one of which has a force-feedback joystick and the others have none at all and AMSO works equally well on all of them. Have you tried it in a fresh install of Orbiter 2010 with only the addons that AMSO requires in order to work correctly?