Question Is the Sun a sprite?

destinos

Reaction score
A sun in orbiter with a solid surface and radiation pressure, with real textures and sun spots,CME, it could make a flyby very interesting.

Yeah! What do we need to do to make this happen? I don't see why we couldn't just treat the data like any other planetary body that's in Orbiter now.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can't a "planet" be placed into a very tight orbit around the sun? ~10 km or so. Would that cause problems with lighting?

DagoO

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was taking a 'tour' of the system last night, centering the camera on different things, when i noticed that the sun doesn't seem to be a three dimensional sphere like the planets are. Am I right about this? Does it change appearance if you fly close enough to it? If not, is there any movement to change this? seems like it'd be pretty easy to do.

I made a 3D sun if it can helps.

It can be founded on Orbithangar, but it's only a beta so it don't looks perfect.

To stay in subject the sun in orbiter is not supposed to be visited, Martin doesn't work it a lot, it's not usefull.

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Thats too bad because a close approach to the sun (completely impossible in real life) would be extremely dramatic for the visuals, and for the tremendous velocities involved.

I flew into the sun once in orbiter...Orbiter then gave me a funky orbit. I guess it didn't like that

Yeah, I think when you cross its disk, Orbiter "kills you". At least you didn't get warped 800 AU out into interstellar space!

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can't a "planet" be placed into a very tight orbit around the sun? ~10 km or so. Would that cause problems with lighting?

You could probably put an object in an orbit a meter away from the center of the sun.

It can be done with an emissive planet, but at least in my opinion it doesn't look too good.

It also clogs up your planet list just that little bit.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
If you want to see the billboard really close and "land" on the Sun before you'll be thrown away from the solar system: my trip to the Sun