Vessel ISV Venture Star and Valkyrie shuttle from "Avatar"

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
This is something that a few other Orbiteers proposed a few years back, but which never really got off the ground. The only completed version of the add-on (by user xssa) is riddled with bugs, thus necessitating the creation of a whole new add-on altogether. Hopefully, this time it will feature a lot less bugs.

The ISV Venture Star is an interplanetary spacecraft from James Cameron's Avatar, with the Valkyrie shuttle serving as its main support craft. Linked below are two 3D models of the spacecraft available for download. Since I know very little about mesh-making, the task of converting and refining these 3D models for use in Orbiter is one best suited to someone else. For reference, the Venture Star is 1,646 meters long, while the Valkyrie shuttle is 102 meters long.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/c80c86ebdd3d290d58437bf46377bb/ISV-Venture-Star
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mo...2a5d035c3/SPACE-SHUTTLE-from-the-movie-avatar

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
Now that we've got the Valkyrie shuttle out of the way, it's time to start working on the Venture Star. Personally, I'm hoping gattispilot can help me here, since as I already stated, I know nothing about mesh-making beyond changing textures. In particular, the 3D model that I linked in the original post has a Valkyrie shuttle already docked to the larger vessel, which will need to be removed. In addition, I could also use a bit of help with regards to the animations (namely the centrifuge), docking ports, and engine placements. For the Venture Star's configuration file, we'll be using spacecraft3.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok. I converted into blender then into waveform. I assume the Venture star is one of the smaller ships docked? It would be nice to get blander to convert to mesh. I know there is a way. I just have not been able to do it.

Attachments

• issventurestar1.jpg
    issventurestar1.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 16

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
Ok. I converted into blender then into waveform. I assume the Venture star is one of the smaller ships docked? It would be nice to get blander to convert to mesh. I know there is a way. I just have not been able to do it.
The smaller vessels docked are Valkyrie shuttles, both of which you'll need to remove. The Venture Star is the larger vessel.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
here is the ship in VB. I will redo the textures of the names,....

Which parts rotate for the centrifuge?

Attachments

• isvventurestar.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 3

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
here is the ship in VB. I will redo the textures of the names,....

Which parts rotate for the centrifuge?
As far as I know, just the centre, as is typically the case with these types of centrifuges. Also, part of the reason I asked for your help regarding the engine and docking port placements is that I'm using Orbiter 2010, with which the Vessel Builder does not function properly.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ok. so maybe this part rotates. no problem. I can build it in vb and then make into a sc3

Attachments

• issventurestar2.jpg
    issventurestar2.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 10

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here it is in 2010. No docks,......

Attachments

• ISVVENTURESTAR2010.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 2

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Increased the size and added 2 docks and 2 thrusters. So now an issue. Mesh wizard will not read it. How to determine the 3 mesh groups for centrifuge?

Attachments

• ISVVENTURESTAR2010A.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now centrifuge works. press G. You will need to adjust as needed, thrust fuel,......

Attachments

• ISVVENTURESTAR2010b.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 2

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
Now centrifuge works. press G. You will need to adjust as needed, thrust fuel,......
Looking good so far, aside from the issue you mentioned regarding the radiator textures. That said, I think you have made the mesh backwards - those "solar panels" are supposed to be located at the rear of the vessel.

ISV1.jpg

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
rotated mesh What about the radiator textures

Attachments

• ISVVENTURESTAR2010c.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 2

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
rotated mesh What about the radiator textures
The big red thing at the front of the vessel is supposed to be its heat radiator system. You seemed to imply in your earlier posts that you were having trouble with the textures.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No. I was going to redo the textures. But decided not too. Not sure which red thing. Those panels are blue, I think

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
No. I was going to redo the textures. But decided not too. Not sure which red thing. Those panels are blue, I think
I meant the structure on either side of the propellent tanks. It's supposed to be coloured red. For reference, here's how it looks in the film:

983ae11a550ecbe06972eab1a82cff23.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
oh. so repaint the section red. It looks like there are ridges. I might just add black lines in the texture. It looks like more structure on the red part also

Attachments

• isvventurestarrepaint.jpg
    isvventurestarrepaint.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 3