Idea JSBsim as atmospheric physics engine?

amalahama

Reaction score
Hi!

I know this topic is recurrent and now and then it comes and goes, but after testing the combo Orbiter 2016 + Hi res textures + D3D9 Engine, I'm impressed about how efficiently Orbiter can handle high altitude flights while maintaining an high degree of 'prettiness'. It's just the right sim for flying any NASA X-plane type (X-1, X-15...) and other high altitude, high performance a/c like SR-71.

But how realistic the atmospheric flight can get with current Orbiter SDK is quite limited. JSBsim API provides a bunch of tools which can make the development of realistic a/c feasible. It also provides an easy framework to add new systems, also aplicable to spacecraft; electrical, hydraulics, APU, Fuel... they are defined via XML a/c and then realistically calculated in real-time.

I had a quick look to both, Orbiter SDK and JSBSim API documentation and integrate both is not trivial - both have their own computation loops and it seems that JSBSim cannot be used for just getting forces inside Orbiter solver loop. But again it's just a quick assessment and a thorough analysis is needed.

My question is whether anybody has been working previously in creating a JSBSim 'wrapper', and what kind of difficulties they faced.

Regards!