Just an idea for Orbiter multiplayer

Dambuster

Reaction score
I've heard that internet lag/latency is a major reason why MP in Orbiter isn't feasible - it would cause ships to jump around on the scale of several miles when in LEO.

As a solution to this (not really a solution, since if this worked, it would probably require major reprogramming of the Orbiter core), would it be possible to define the location/velocity of each spacecraft from a moving frame of reference?

So for example, let's say your DGIV is moving towards Mars in formation (but not docked) with another player. Ordinarily, I guess you'd have each DG warping several miles around each person's screen.

In my idea, the locations and velocities of each DG would be defined by a frame of reference which moves with the players. So instead of moving at 10,000 m/s relative to a fixed point in your virtual solar system, you would be moving at 0 m/s (assuming you're not accelerating at all) relative to origin (0,0,0) of a set of axes following closely behind your two starships.

The obvious problem of this would be that latency would cause your centre point (0,0,0) to be moving all over the place. My response to this is that some sort of algorithm could be written so that the location of this point would continue along a fixed line (or curve, if you're in the influence of a nearby planet) and only would be updated periodically (whereas you could continuously be updating the relative velocity/location of the spacecraft, since those would be close to zero). If you fired your engines in the time between the centre point is updated, your velocity and location probably aren't going to be changing so much that latency will have a massive effect.

So, any ideas on if something like this would (or even could) work?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've heard that internet lag/latency is a major reason why MP in Orbiter isn't feasible - it would cause ships to jump around on the scale of several miles when in LEO.

It is no major show-stopper.

So, any ideas on if something like this would (or even could) work?

It already does...

Technical issues can be solved... what is missing is a concept. If you are interested, join the MMORPG discussions.

regards,
Face

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This was already done with one of the early multiplayer implementations, I believe. When you were close to another player, you would use one of your vessels as the reference point.

unnamedkid

Reaction score
well i think this applies to space shuttle only right? one controlling the ship and the other controlling the payload