Challenge KSC to Wideawake - the "classic" speed run - 2015 iteration

mjf

Reaction score
pleased to report that as of this morning (May 2), I ran the KSC-WIN race in less than 20 minutes... just slightly more than 19, actually.

I recorded a playback while doing it, so will post a larger report plus the files, if I can, later today/tonight... When I have an exact MET from wheels up to wheel stop, I will update my time in the list at the start of the thread...

mjf

Reaction score
scenario playback files for KSC-WIN speedrun - 19:05

I am attaching the files for the speedrun playback for my sub 20 minute run. Thank you to David Courtney (blixel) and dgatsoulis for the tips and advice to make this possible!

I have done some analysis of the reason why dgatsoulis was able to do it 2 minutes faster than me (17:05). The main one (perhaps obviously) is getting to a velocity almost 2 km/sec faster at MECO, and still being able to successfully brake. Minimizing landing time is also key when the braking is complete... I will try to put up some quantitative analysis / graphs later in the week...

... and (May 4 additional commentary after having 2 days to reflect...) I'm still a little too obsessed with this challenge. I thought I would give it up and try something different in Orbiter for a while. But the bug is now in my head to get a sub 18 minute time. To do this, MECO will need to be at least 13.5 km/sec...

Finally, would anyone find useful a checklist / commentary for my 19:05 run? For example, I would refer to the SimTimes (upper right screen) during the playback and make a list of all the things I was doing at various critical points. This would allow for someone to print out the checklist and try to fly the same way... let me know either on the forum here or private msg. Thanks!

Attachments

• Speed Run - May 2 am.zip
    77.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

mjf

Reaction score
May 12 report - I tried a run this morning & successfully landed:

- MECO was about 13.5 km/sec;
- successfully aligned with WIN and used the agentgonzo/dgatsoulis "point straight down" braking technique;
- however, I waited *far* too long to perform the braking - I was at 2500 km away from WIN and in hindsight should have done it at 2600 km;
- due to a slow initiation of the braking maneouver starting at 2500 km from WIN, I had to be very careful not to descend too fast - my wing temperatures in the XR-2 got into red and stayed there for uncomfortably long periods;
- therefore, I wasn't able to slow down quickly enough and overshot the base by about 40 km. Then I had to turn around and descend - but hey, it was a very gentle landing as I had plenty of time to align to the runway and bleed off speed!
- wheel stop something above 22 minutes, if I recall correctly. If I *had* been able to slow down, it might have been slightly north of 18 minutes, which is much faster than my previous record of 19:05.

I should note that I've been editing dgatsoulis' LUA script that he included as part of his KSC-WIN scenario download. It has been a good education in programming. One tool I've added helps on the ascent phase - if you are going up (vertical vel positive) but accelerating towards the ground, it uses the formulae [time = v0/accel; distance = (v0 * time) + (0.5 * accel * time^2)] to get the vertical "ceiling" we will reach. This allows for a nice ascent curve because if you invert around (say) 55-60km altitude, you want to gradually slow down so your vertical velocity is zero at around 70-71 km.

If I can clean up the code I will post my own starting scenario which will include the edited dgatsoulis LUA script...

===

May 13 report (added/edited):
- tried an additional run, again with MECO of 13.5 km/sec and same technique to brake as yesterday
- much better aligned with runway, but came down way too hard (20 m/s or more vertical down, which smashed the landing gear) - unfortunately this is not therefore a legitimate run. :-(
- as soon as the gear smashed, I checked MET and it said 17:35.
- so this means I can probably do a survivable sub 18-minute run if I am careful not to make any mistakes. From now on, I will try to record the flight.

Based on my experiences on May 12-13, I can really say that at this point the *hardest* thing for me to do is to make sure that the flight heading alignment and deceleration gets you right where you want to be for final approach. The other elements of flying this race are now relatively routine and I can usually repeat the necessary steps. Even a few kilometers left/right or overshoot can add quite a few seconds to the flight, because at that point you are flying <1000 m/s so it takes a while to make the correction as you bank & turn.

What I find is that Aerobrake, though an awesome tool, doesn't quite give a precise target graphic down to within 10 km - I really have to squint to guess where that final target square ends up. I have considered trying to use GlideSlope2 for getting better runway precision... Any ideas welcome

Last edited:

mjf

Reaction score
new record time for me - same method and MECO slightly greater than 13.5 km/sec.

The time from wheels up to wheels stop is 18:24 :thumbup: . Still trying to do some analysis on how dgatsoulis managed it over 60 seconds faster (17:05). That truly was remarkable flying on his part - there is no room for error in that kind of attempt.

==

May 20th update to the above: re-flew it thinking I was much faster, but alas, just 2 seconds better at 18:22 (not going to bother updating the original post list for that). Then yet another re-fly this time trying MECO at 14 km/sec - barely held it together but waited (in hindsight) about 100 km too late to execute the braking manouevers - this meant I had to jam down into the atmosphere slightly harder than I should have, in order not to overshoot - but this generated a white hot hull breach...

Last edited:

mjf

Reaction score
and one additional update - right after I made the previous post I did a recorded flight with a sub-18 minute time...

But since nobody seems to be talking in here except me :cry: , I didn't bother to post anything related to it, nor change the record table at the top of the thread... if you want details, let me know. Otherwise, good luck on any KSC-WIN runs for the rest of 2015!

[ I might try a few variants of this over the next month or two, as I'm fairly satisfied getting under 18 minutes, so my interest in the original challenge is waning. The first will be to fly the XR-5 "heavy" rather than the XR-2, from KSC-WIN. Secondly, I am going to try to do an "around the world" with the XR-2: KSC-KSC. Since those feats are fairly similar to the above, I will post any new developments here. ]

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
But since nobody seems to be talking in here except me :cry: ,
What can I say? My best for KSC to WIN is 31 min :rofl:
mjf :tiphat: and :thumbup: to all <25 min

Maybe do it on OMP and I will be your passenger watching you.

mjf

Reaction score
Just wanted to update the thread - it has been a while!

After several failed attempts resulting in the complete loss of craft and crew, I've now managed to do a complete KSC-WIN speed run using the larger XR-5 Vanguard vehicle. As I was skeptical of actually making it, I wasn't paying particularly close attention to the time, but I think wheels up to wheel stop was about 24 minutes.

I may try again in a few days and record the time much more accurately, and add myself to the list... Not sure if it is worth starting a completely new thread.

Several things about the XR-5 - it is a much heavier vehicle, and accelerates slightly slower (my impression is that if the XR-2 might be able to accelerate at a certain point in the flight around 3.5 Gs, the XR-5 might be able to do 3.0 Gs).

The XR-5 has better lift than the XR-2; this makes it easier to hold at around 70 - 71 km altitude, inverted, with a lower angle-of-attack.

My slow down technique was to use the inverted flight version of the attitude hold computer and with about 3000 km distance to WIN, point down (inverted) at about 80 degrees AoA. Then use the main fuel remaining to thrust down in bursts to hold about 100 m/s descent rate. I didn't have to get anywhere near to 200 m/s descent to slow down adequately, so this gives me the impression I could have waited for longer (perhaps 2500 km distance) to execute the descent maneuver.