General Question Laptop keyboard config

RichB

Reaction score
Hello,
I receved a laptop for X-mas so I loaded orbiter onto it then I realized I had no way to controle the ship. The laptop dose not have a num pad or the other keys used to controle fligh.
I see in the hand book I can reconfig the keyboard threw the keyboard map file in the main directory. Has any one out their done this?
I could use some help with this, PLEASE!
Thank you very much.
RSB

Columbia42

Reaction score
I haven't done that but I have played Orbiter on a laptop. If you hold down the function key, any number with a blue number beneath it becomes that number on the number pad. the same goes (I think) for thrusters (+ -).

Foofoo14

Reaction score
Hello,
I receved a laptop for X-mas so I loaded orbiter onto it then I realized I had no way to controle the ship. The laptop dose not have a num pad or the other keys used to controle fligh.
I see in the hand book I can reconfig the keyboard threw the keyboard map file in the main directory. Has any one out their done this?
I could use some help with this, PLEASE!
Thank you very much.
RSB

i use a laptop too and had the same problem and yes there is a file called keymap, and there it will have all the default controls, so anyways i will give you the controls that i use pitch which is up and down i wrote in the cfg 1 for up and 2 for down ,yaw which when on ground is to steer the aircraft left or right i use 3 for left and 4 for right to bank is to turn when in air from left to right i put 5 for left and 6 for right. next is throttle u can use s as it isnt used and u for reverse and to switch off and on the rcs thrusters i put f5 to switch to rotation then f6 for the other one and use the 123456 controls for rotation and the same for the other but instead it will be 1 up 2 down 3 left 4 right 5 forward 6 backward

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
give the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2848"]Keybinder Wizard[/ame] a try. it makes editing the keymap.cfg really easy.

DanScall

Reaction score
Buddy, I had the same problem, it took me ages to figure it out! Simple fix, there will be a numpad embedded onto other keys on your laptop, look for tiny blue numbers on other keys. For me, the letter "I" has the embedded number "5". Now, to activate these you need to locate the numpad symbol (sp?) on your F# keys, it'l be a little box with "123" in it probably. Whatever key that is (mine was F11) hold down the blue function key and tap it, that embedded keypad should now come on. Word of warning, if you need to use the letter, say "K" to open a spaceship door, you need to turn the pad off again or the game will just register you as tapping the number 2.

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
I also had a laptop given to me as a gift. The person(s) who gave the gift, knowing I spent time sim-ing orbiter, gave a wireless external keypad. It works great. No needing to config any changes in keys, and the same muscle memory on how to control the ship is used.
http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.aspx?sku=AKP01US
It plugs in on the fly. I usually start up orbiter and do initial flight planning and the moment I need to begin flight I realize the need for the keypad and I plug the receiver into a usb port and in 1 second I am flying.
rob