Largest planet in the solar system could be about to be discovered

Mark-x

Cosmonaut
Reaction score
One should be able to detect it with a radio or IR telescope, well that is if the other "particles" don't hide it. Especially cause it would attract any comet in the vicinity. Anyway according to a end-of-the-world scenario the planet has a highly elliptical orbit and will pass through our known solar system very soon. Oh and did I mention the intelligent beings it harbors and that will come back to earth? It's all in the media... I still want Pluto back!

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Anyway according to a end-of-the-world scenario the planet has a highly elliptical orbit and will pass through our known solar system very soon

If that were true we wouldn't need a telescope to see it. A brown dwarf just over a year out would already be visible as it would be out around Jupiter by now. If it's still too far out to see then not only is it's orbit outside the solar system but it's approach speed would be so fast that it would certainly be something to worry about. :lol:

I do think that there is a slim chance that there is a brown dwarf about 1-2 light years out, not gravitational bound to the sun but sitting there between us and Proxima centauri.

Stoat

Reaction score
This is fun to play with. A little java applet that works out the Kozai period for you. i did a quick test with a fairly ridiculous eccentricity of 0.6 for planet x at 200 a.u. and the effect on Jupiter is to give it a Kozai period of 90 million years.

Try it for Phobos and Deimos as well, when you get sick of looking for planet x.

http://www.orbitsimulator.com/formulas/pkozai.html

Salun

Das Bluejay El DESTROY YOU ALL
Reaction score
I originally wrote a small post about how I thought this was stupid but I think Ill go a more mature route(For once)

Ill start off by saying that yes I do think that its NOT out there in all likely-hood. But if that planet is there then it doesn't fit our current standard model of how planets and solar systems form.

Unless you account for captured rouges.

So if there is a Super Jupiter planet out in the Ort Cloud area. Chances are that planet is far older than our original solar system. Formed around another star probably long before our own solar system formed. The odds of such a planet surviving its parent stars death or being flung out of its own system are astronomically small so still stands that its not there. If it is though. Imagine a 10 Billion year old planet orbiting our sun.

Still not convinced they'll find anything but defiantly a interesting possibility if true.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say that I'm a little skeptical...

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Perfectly assuming... This object could be a planetar flying through the ort cloud... If it exist... The odds of it forming out there is far to slim and the odds of it migrating there seem pretty slim too.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I think its entirely possible that a planet is orbiting in the Oort Cloud, just not 4x the size of Jupiter. Maybe the size of Mercury.

Though, if one is 4x the size of Jupiter what a wonder that would be! We'd see a wave of orbiter addons.

Stoat

Reaction score
What a surprise: SPACE.com: "Astronomers Doubt Giant Planet 'Tyche' Exists in Our Solar System"
The two have had the Tyche idea since 1999.

The idea that stars could have gas giants orbiting very close in, is at least forty years old. The skepticism of that idea was natural, a gas giant orbiting inside of the orbit of Mercury, should lose its atmosphere. Let alone, how did it form in the first place in that orbit. Now we know of course that there are lots of solar systems where this happens, and the debate is on about the hows and whys of it.

A ten year old theory is not a great problem but the journalist in that last article has stated it and given the reader a message. Note that he hasn't been explicit and came right out and said these two astronomers are nut cases. It rather looks as though he's gone and got a couple of juicy quotes and then went on to write a smarty pants article.

The smart thing to do, is to sit on the fence. To be totally disinterested; a word that is often misunderstood to mean indifferent.

Is this planet possible? The answer is yes. Is it probable? The answer has to be that we simply don't have enough information on "dark companion" stars to give odds. Again, it makes sense to sit on the fence.

Let's look at that scaled down version of the solar System. The Sun is a billiard ball, the Earth is at about 7.6 metres, Jupiter at forty metres and this planet x at about 1.5 kilometres. The nearest star is going to be 2000 kilometres away, and just for a little bit more idea of the scale of this model, the Earth will have a diameter of 0.5 mm.

This planet x is not going to have a wildly eccentric orbit. It's not going to be dangerous. Though it may have been during the formation of the Solar System. At about 200 a.u. it's just on the "edge" of the Oort cloud but the Oort cloud is thought to have originated closer in and has been flung out. Actually, it would tend to circularize the orbits of Oort cloud icy lumps, so it may be a good thing; even if it did throw the odd one in toward the sun. Even that would create a Sedna type orbit, which could of course be altered by one of the inner gas giants. Pretty rare in any case.

Okay, it's going to be about twentieth mag and the very devil to find. If these two guys want to look for it they'll need telescope time, on at least a metre telescope. Best of luck to them I say.

One last point, this planet x doesn't screw up the theories of planetary formation. Think of it as not so much a planet but a failed star. The cloud from which Sol formed may have broken up into two gas clouds. This is very common. It's one of the ways that the collapsing proto sun loses angular momentum. It would be an interesting question as to whether our planetary system is pulled out as far as it is, by this secondary cloud of dust and gas, being of too low a mass.

Keatah

Reaction score
I'll believe it when it gets confirmed by multiple observations and spacecraft. Perhaps the James Webb can get some good measurements going?

Till then this is just a bunch of sensationalism and hot air.

Stoat

Reaction score
Why all the passion in this thread though? The hoped for big public interest story from the James Webb would be finding at least one solar system like ours. Nobody is going to throw a street party for planet x. If people want to look through the data sets for lost planets, who cares, it won't cost anything but their time.

What's really to be hoped for from this telescope is a whole new bunch of questions. My favourite would be, do neutrino balls exist?

Planet x is just a fun scenario to look at for Orbiter sims. There's no reason on earth to get all hot and bothered about it. If someone suggested changing it into Darth Vader's death star, it would still be a good mission to go there and hit it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You do know that the universe is huge and your planet even if it would be 4 times bigger than Jupiter, very small? Without any clue at all, where it could be, you search in vain.

Stoat

Reaction score
Does anybody like the name of this thing? If I discovered it, I think I'd broadly hint that I was toying with calling it after the little known Celtic god, Pepsi. Then wait for the bidding war. Even if that wasn't allowed, I'd still make a load of dosh from going on chat shows to bewail the fact that my name for it had been rejected.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I agree! Let's call it Pepsi!

But, as this has already been said, the Solar System's barycenter would be badly shifted. We would notice that. IgnoreThisBarrel once created an add-on of a brown dwarf orbiting the sun. It has been strongly criticized by someone... you can guess who :lol: Of course, that was just a nice add-on for a cool sim, but this is real science...

Stoat

Reaction score
I think this article is worth a read. The writer looks like he knows his stuff and isn't on some sort of mission. The Italian paper he refers to is at the bottom of the article and can be downloaded as a free pdf.

http://www.astroengine.com/2009/04/where-is-planet-x-where-is-nemesis/

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Here's the oddest planet in the universe. Loads of scope for an Orbiter scenario. The cubic planet of Bizarro.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_World"]Bizarro World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
IgnoreThisBarrel once created an add-on of a brown dwarf orbiting the sun. It has been strongly criticized by someone... you can guess who :lol: Of course, that was just a nice add-on for a cool sim, but this is real science...

In my defense I never said it existed IRL :p

At ~15,000 AU's out what would be the minimum mass of an object so that we could detect something affecting the Solar System's barycenter (assuming we can detect it anyway)?

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
in just a little telescope. I saw what looked like a planet. It didn't match up with anything I researched. I think it could have been a comet that was acceding but i am not sure.