latest NASSP revision 1736 ... where to start?

thermocalc

Reaction score
Hi to every bodies, I am back...
I am sorry to have just disappear from this forum for one year, incredible but it is already one year ago when I was using NASSP v1538 moving my first steps in Apollo 9 learning to fly the LM ... unfortunately life was not easy on me, I lost my mother end of October 2020 (that's why I stop run the sims and interacting with all of you around October 20th, 2020), than I had one surgery in February 2021 myself, and since then I lost the count of the days due to covid lookdown and working from home policy of my company, with all days looks the same, ... beside I was "side tracked" by the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and the "old" Xplane 11, so I lost some time getting back to fly airplanes...but now I would like to go back to the moon and possibly landing this time :)
I just updated all to the new version 1736 (installed yesterday) and I was "amazed" to see the developments done by all developers, ...I am still trying to read all post from my last one in October 2020 to figure out what I have missed ... the Virtual Cockpit is really AMAZING .... GREAT WORK...
...so, with so many new things implemented .... I would like to ask from which mission could I start ? I mean, in the folder "Apollo - Mission Scenarios" all Missions can be fly? or some are "broken" due to the new release version and the fact that some scenarios are not updated to the new version? for the time being I would still stick to the missions with MCC guidance to get some help with astrodynamics....
I would like to start again from Apollo 7 or jump directly to Apollo 11 to learn to operate the LM near the moon & landing, but using the scenarios' proposed for training, as cannot still run a mission from lift off to splashdown...(a part Apollo 8, which I did back in 2020); any suggestion? I guess any mission I will start with, will take me busy up to X'mas time so during all this time clearly I will not update the v1736, but i will read this forum almost daily from now on so I would know more what is going on.
thank you again to all of you and sorry for my long post.
kind regards.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
First of all I love the username :) Our sincere condolences for your loss but welcome back!

As far as where to start, that really depends on you! I always encourage starting a mission from launch and working through it as it is the most rewarding, why wouldn't you be able to?

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Also first of all sorry to hear your news and hope that everything is OK.

I would recommend that you start with Apollo 7 or Apollo 8, both missions will teach you tools necesary for future missions. 7 has the challenge of the rendezvous, but on this thread I posted my journey to being able to be competent with it:

MrFickles

Reaction score
IMO, you can skip Apollo 7 and go directly to the Moon with Apollo 8 first. Most of the stuff on Apollo 7 isn't essential for a successful trip to the Moon and back, and the timeline on Apollo 8 is more relaxed.

thermocalc

Reaction score
thanks to all, highly appreciated all your words, I will start a mission from lift off using MCC to go step by step, and yes maybe I will start A8 first, and maybe A7 later on just to practice the rendezvous before attempting missions with the LM ...happy to be back here. :cheers:

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Apollo 7 rendezvous (CSM active) is not all that similar to any of the LM rendezvous. I would definitely start with 8, then I would go straight to 11.
For me, the toughest missions to complete were in order, 9, 7, and 10.

thermocalc

Reaction score
Thanks Max-Q, got it. A8 than A11 then the others .... 10 -> 7 -> 9 ....in order of difficulties.