Software "Launch Orbiter" button is dithered-out

Brant

Reaction score
After downloading the base 060929 zip file version of Orbiter, extracting all files to a C:\Program Files\Orbiter folder, and then starting up the application, the Launchpad window displays just fine but the Launch Orbiter button is dithered-out (the letters on the button are gray and not black and when clicking the button nothing happens). Has this ever happened to you? If so, how did you resolve the issue? Do you think I am trying to run the application on too old of a PC (even though I think I meet the posted minimum requirements)? The specs of my PC are: Intel Pentium III processor 664 MHz, 512 MB of RAM; Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3; ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series 256 MB Memory.

Brant

Reaction score
I left click a scenario and it highlights the selection

I tried selecting a scenario by left-clicking (tried many of the scenarios). The selection is highlighted but the Launch button is still dithered-out and won't launch Orbiter when clicked. Am I using the correct method of selecting a scenario? I also double-left clicked the scenario (it expands the scenario and keeps it highlighted) but still the launch button does not work.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
you have to select some thing after opening the folder

Brant

Reaction score
I selected a scenario and it was highlighted

I selected a scenario (example "2006 Edition") and it was highlighted but the Launch Orbiter button is still dithered out and not working when you click it. I will try to attach a screen shot of the window. Hopfully the doc is attached. I will submit and see.

Attachments

• screen shot.doc
    66.5 KB · Views: 11

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
no you are doing it wrong you click that 2 times then you click any of the other folders then you select the one you want like in this image
attachment.php

Attachments

• 222222.jpg
    222222.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 62

Brant

Reaction score
oh I see my mistake now - thank you!

Thanks for suggesting that I needed to select something within the subfolders of the scenario folder. I understand what you are saying now, after opening the sub filders and selecting one of the items. I will continue to launch the app and test it further.

Dman1410

Reaction score
you can't start a scenario if the small picture is a folder thats why its grey'd out it has to be a small delta glider which indicates that it is an actual scenario where as if its a folder double clicking it opens up connections to other folders which contain scenarios or linking to scenarios directly

Brant

Reaction score
Thanks again to all of you for helping me through that one. Looking back it seems pretty straight forward. I should have tried clicking all the subfolders and then I would have seen the glider icons that represent the actual scenarios to select. You would think that I would have done that but my brain must not be working that well today.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
so its working ?

Brant

Reaction score
yes its working and it is cooool!

Yes, it is working so far. It is coool looking. I tried one scenario - the first one - I dont know what I am doing yet, I press the numbers on the num pad and I see some retro rockets shoot out from the shuttle (I think that is what you call them but I need to read and learn more about the whole thing). I will keep reading and see if I can understand what I have available to me in the way of onboard computers and controlling a space flight. Thanks for your help!

Brant

Reaction score
excellent

Thanks Woo482, I will definitely start with those tutorials. Thanks for letting me know about them.:)

Cornflake

Reaction score
Yes that is a very good list of tutorials. I used to link people to the one on the old forums (http://orbit.m6.net/Forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=3064) but it looks like the thread on these forums is comprehensive and even has all of the ones from the old link. :speakcool: I'm glad you got Orbiter working, Brant.

P.S. Where about in Colorado do you live? I saw the colorado flag icon by your name (I don't think I've met many Colorado Orbinauts).