Request Lissajous Orbit MFD

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
How about it minor-mathematical-deities? I think it'd be a real challenge, but am quite sure that one of you coders-extraordinaire are up to it!

I'm the first to admit it's way beyond my current abilities.

There's something really intriguing about an "orbit" around a non-mass zone, plus in time-lapse mode the Lissajous orbit creates beautiful rosettes (something like the olde Spirograph patterns).

I've got some documents linked in this thread - http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=22974

And I've got some pdf's on my current hard drive should anyone be interested.

I think a Lissajous Orbit MFD would make for some really interesting Langrange area station building.

Last edited:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I second this.

From what I am understanding. The actual delta V needed to keep this going is very very small. This is why there has been great interest in using the Earth moon L points to move quickly in and out of lunar orbit.

What will be needed in such an MFD is a way to determine "when" a burn is needed.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Use IMFD and the new Lighthouse (it is a planet now). Uploaded to Hangar.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Ah nice! Being able to target the points is a big help. Now the far bigger issue is establishment and maintainment of the various types of orbits and maneuvers in the very complex gravitational envrionment around the Earth Moon L points.

Would it be considered "cheating" to have a module to teleport a craft back into the halo or L orbit position? The reason I ask is that in the real world the software and planning to calculate burns to maintain stable orbit around a virtual spot is extremely complex. The Article on the Artemis (2 spacecraft of THEMIS now in lunar orbit) Indicated that this is likely outside any reasonable extent of orbiter. There are tables of estimated cost over a time period of these orbits and I personally think it would be "fair" for a module to teleport and deduct fuel in return for not having to plan extremely complex and often microburns.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Warning: re - Lighthouse - it works only between CELBODY-type planets/stars/moons.

Re: cheating. I generally try to avoid FTL flight. IMFD (Map mode) is realistic enough to plan for 3-6 orbits ahead, but agree on the need for more sophisticated planners and autopilots. One step at a time, though.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I agree it wont be the best solution by far. But the "correct" solution would seem to need something on the level of STK to accomplish. I was reading a document talking about the various ideas for converting THEMIS into ARTEMIS. And later I read on the site that the team had to plan the weeks maneuvers and monitor a daily report to maintain the extremely sensitive orbit.

Would it be awesome and useful to have? Yes but the sheer amount of effort it would take I would have to wonder if there is a level of acceptable "cheating" instead in this situation.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have long since learned that in simulations inventing "cheats" takes more time and effort than re-doing something that has already been done by someone in real life... YMMV :)

EDIT: thanks to n0mad23 have expanded my library on dynamic systems, makes a good reading.

Last edited: