LM Documenttion

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this document? Mentioned in this Scott Manley YouTube video.
Some crazy stuff in that video about manual staging (!!!) Really. Watch the video.

1666305312467.png

Thanks in advance!

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this document? Mentioned in this Scott Manley YouTube video.
Some crazy stuff in that video about manual staging (!!!) Really. Watch the video.

View attachment 30804

Thanks in advance!
I think others have linked you, but the one in that image is the operational procedures for LM 11 (Apollo 16) which can be found here

There is a pair to it, Volume I, of which we have LM 10's (Apollo 15) here

And the staging isnt really "manual" but the jumper cables allowed the pyro batteries to be connected and "jumped" in order for them to fire. If you want more info ask away!

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for!

And the staging isnt really "manual" but the jumper cables allowed the pyro batteries to be connected and "jumped" in order for them to fire. If you want more info ask away!
It's still a pretty crazy idea! An astronaut with only a half hour of air climbing around on the outside of the LM making holes in razor-sharp metal to jury-rig an electronics box...
Would they really have launched with the hatch open? That seems a bit far-fetched, but he said it in the video. I'd be worried about getting exhaust residue in the cabin!

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for!

It's still a pretty crazy idea! An astronaut with only a half hour of air climbing around on the outside of the LM making holes in razor-sharp metal to jury-rig an electronics box...
Would they really have launched with the hatch open? That seems a bit far-fetched, but he said it in the video. I'd be worried about getting exhaust residue in the cabin!
So while launching with the hatch open would be entirely feasible, I believe Scott Manley missed the procedures following the external hookup and return to the cabin. He even has the step in one of his video images which explicitly says "close hatch." I think he misread the "staging" part because you can stage the vehicles without it lifting off.

1666452278327.png

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
So while launching with the hatch open would be entirely feasible, I believe Scott Manley missed the procedures following the external hookup and return to the cabin. He even has the step in one of his video images which explicitly says "close hatch." I think he misread the "staging" part because you can stage the vehicles without it lifting off.

View attachment 30822
Aha, that makes a lot more sense. I guess you can't believe everything you see on YouTube... 😉
So then the ascent stage would just be sitting there with no physical connection to the descent stage?
Then once staged, I guess you would just run P12 and lift off at the next launch opportunity as usual instead of being forced to launch immediately?

Also, almost totally unrelated question, whatever happened to LM-9? Apollos 11-14 were LM-5 to 8, and Apollo 15 was LM-10. This has bugged me for a long time!

Miriam

Reaction score
LM 9 was the last "H-class"- LM and never flew. That mission was scrubbed after 13. AFAIK it's on exposition at...no idea.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So then the ascent stage would just be sitting there with no physical connection to the descent stage?
Then once staged, I guess you would just run P12 and lift off at the next launch opportunity as usual instead of being forced to launch immediately?
Pretty much, gravity would keep the ascent stage on the descent stage. There were I am sure contingencies that necessitated the cable being attached for a launch in the event you had multiple failures that would require the ED system to blow the valves and separate at the same time, but if you look through those emergency procedures you will see the ones for firing the APS were cable connections inside the cabin not requiring an EVA.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
LM 9 was the last "H-class"- LM and never flew. That mission was scrubbed after 13. AFAIK it's on exposition at...no idea.
Aha! Finally my mystery of LM-9 is solved!
As far as where it is, a quick search found this:
https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/blog/landed-lunar-module-9

Pretty much, gravity would keep the ascent stage on the descent stage. There were I am sure contingencies that necessitated the cable being attached for a launch in the event you had multiple failures that would require the ED system to blow the valves and separate at the same time, but if you look through those emergency procedures you will see the ones for firing the APS were cable connections inside the cabin not requiring an EVA.
Probably the type of procedures that the MCC guys knew about but never made in into the flight manuals.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Probably the type of procedures that the MCC guys knew about but never made in into the flight manuals.
Exactly, even the procedures for the LM charging the CM batteries was actually conceived before 13, and just collecting dust on a shelf for instance.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I firmly believe these "informal worst-case" types of procedures is the reason we saved 13.
If you havent seen these, they are a great read....

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
If you havent seen these, they are a great read....

Nice, thanks! :)
Incidentally, yours was the 13th post in this thread... 😉