Question Locations update of "older" scenarios

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi,

I have several scenarios that were made for "older" Versions of Orbiter (don't know exactly, but they seem to be made for Orbiter "pre 060929")
that I like to update.

I don't like to move the bases/pads/launchers manually via the Scenario-Editor, 'cause it feels like "guessing" ;)

So here's the question:

Is there a exact conversion from 'old' latitude/longitude to 'current'?
Something like:
lon[new] = f(x) * lon[old]
lat[new] = f(x) * lat[old]
I hope there is some easy calculation like "lon[new] = lon[old] +1.23°", but maybe it's not "that linear" :lol:

One example for this misplacement are e.g. the NASSP Scenarios, where the MLP stands on the Crawler-Way in current Orbiter (see attachment)...

Has anyone done this before? Or did all of you made the changes "by eye"?

Thanks in advance,
Kuddel

Attachments

• misplaced.jpg
    misplaced.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 18

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
I did it "by eye", but I'd be interested in a calculation for that, too, for me it always looked like it's not just a simple translation for whatever reason...

Cheers
Tschachim

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Tschachim,
I did it "by eye", but I'd be interested in a calculation for that, too, for me it always looked like it's not just a simple translation for whatever reason...
Yes, I think this is a function of longitude & latitude.
I guess, that (lon,lat) (0°,0°) would be unchanged, while other locations change more/less depending on the "distance" to the "origin" (0°,0°)...but that's just a guess.
I'll try to find some old Orbiter installations on my backup disk...maybe I can find some transformation-logic by comparing e.g. the Atlantis scenarios (and maybe others). Hopefully I still have some (very) old Orbiter ZIPs around ;)
For the NASSP Scenarios a "constant offset" for the KSC region of earth might be enough, though it would be nice if I could find some general function.
/Kuddel

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Here are my findings so far:
I've compared with version 060504, 'cause that's the last version that used the 'old' coordinates.
Unfortunately there are not many scenarios with landed vehicles at different positions on earth. All are more or less KSC.
This makes it hard to really make out a function ;)

But the delta values for longitude and latitude might be a good starting point for LC-39 offset (delta) values.
Whenever I've got something new, I 'll post it.
/Kuddel

Attachments

• pos_deltas.jpg
    pos_deltas.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 8