Challenge Lunar Lander and Direct Landing challenges

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Hi there,

Recently blixel got back to making Orbiter videos, so I created a couple of challenges that I thought others would find interesting.

Here are the links to David's videos, explaining installation procedures (links for challenges scripts, scenarios etc in the video descriptions)

First the Lunar Lander challenge:

And the Direct Landing Challenge

You can watch videos of attempts to complete these challenges (and many more Orbiter related videos) in David's YT channel, though consider this a spoiler warning if you want to try them out without any other information.

Hope you enjoy them.

potjoe

Reaction score
Hi @dgatsoulis, thank you very much for this fun challenge ! On my way to find a repeatable solution, I'm having an issue with the DG lander. With the proper NAV frequencies set, I do not capture the VOR signal from Brighton beach even within the 500km range (vertical, and horizontal), neither the ILS pad signal. I tried to put a stock DG on a pad in your scenario, and I'm getting a signal. Do you know where the issue could come from ?

Edit : Here is a screenshot after a scenario edit, I landed the DG-lander on pad 2, and still, no signal.

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Hi @dgatsoulis, thank you very much for this fun challenge ! On my way to find a repeatable solution, I'm having an issue with the DG lander. With the proper NAV frequencies set, I do not capture the VOR signal from Brighton beach even within the 500km range (vertical, and horizontal), neither the ILS pad signal. I tried to put a stock DG on a pad in your scenario, and I'm getting a signal. Do you know where the issue could come from ?

Edit : Here is a screenshot after a scenario edit, I landed the DG-lander on pad 2, and still, no signal.
My pleasure, it was fun to make! Also big thanks to blixel for the testing and suggestions.

About the NAV frequencies, from what I understand it is an Orbiter bug. The script itself doesn't have anything to do with them. You can get a signal if you wait to get a bit closer and reset the frequency, the way David does in the following video (17:38):

Hope this solves it for you.

BTW, for anyone else that might want to try the direct landing challenge:
Each time you run the scenario, you get different starting conditions. So you cannot complete this challenge by simply micro-managing the altitude at which to begin the burn.

potjoe

Reaction score
I spared myself the full video before any successful try... :cheers: Indeed, it works perfectly to wait a bit more and to reset it! Thank you very much, it solves it

Last edited:

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I was just searching Youtube for some new orbiter videos to see if there is anything new which I have not done in many months and I see David Courtney has been doing some new videos and I see some people have already noticed with this thread, that is awesome, I watched all of his Orbiter 2010 tutorials and even thou I know how to do a lot of stuff, I just like watching them. All the best David, I don't have a Youtube account to comment or upvote any of the videos but you have a big fan of your videos here.

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Epic! Imagine doing this with the XR5! Dumping all the Cargo and having to rescue that one again with a later mission.
I am going to try this.