General Question Lunar space station orbit

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi,I am building a space station orbiting the moon,and would like to carry cargo,and passengers between the station,and the moons surface bases.What would be a feasible orbit to place the station at?Thanks

:hailprobe:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
At least a 42* inclination would be required to visit all bases. You'll also want to have it as low as possible (~50 km) in order to minimize fuel usages.
:cheers: and good luck!

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
That would depend on your base's latitude. If it's a polar base, you need to have a very high equatorial inclination for your launches. If your base is at (or near) the lunar equator, then you need a low inclination. The moon rotates much slower than the Earth, but you still get a (small) benefit from having a station at 0 degrees (equatorial) inclination and launching at it from the (lunar) equator.

So, If it's saving dv you are after, go for 0 degrees inclination, launching from a site at 0 degrees latitude.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
You'll also want to have it as low as possible (~50 km) in order to minimize fuel usages.
:cheers: and good luck!

I disgree. With lunar Mascons a 50KM orbit will see it falling out of orbit within weeks. I'd go for a 300-600km orbit. Fuel costs from lunar surface to even 600km are not that high.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I meant the standard bases. Hovever, I had forgotten the mascons. In that case, garyw is correct. My apologies.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Ok, great answers,thanks,also what would a be a perfect orbit for an orbiting earth space station so you could transport cargo,and passengers to,and from an orbiting lunar station?,and earth station. I am guessing the orbit Mirs at! Thanks

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
If you enable complex gravity simulation in the launchpad, it does. Since I spend most of my time in LEO anyways, I haven't enabled it. I will shortly, though!

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, great answers,thanks,also what would a be a perfect orbit for an orbiting earth space station so you could transport cargo,and passengers to,and from an orbiting lunar station?,and earth station. I am guessing the orbit Mirs at! Thanks

If you want to make daily launches from Earth to the moon, go and look at the Station V's inclination from 2001.

If you want to save dv, launch from a site that provides a 5 degrees equatotial inclination, a LAN at the oppositte side of the orbit and a 3.5 days trip in between. This way you can find a multitude of launch sites. Here is a pic:
ejectorientation.jpg

Every ship on that date, can make the same burn (or take off from any site along the orbital paths) and reach the moon. The key phrase here is "on that date".

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As a separate module it can be done even now (adding an extra force near the Moon). Unfortunately your humble servant ain't got enough time...