New Release LunarTransferMFD v1.1 released

flying coffin

Reaction score
I'm having one other intermittent issue. It seems that occasionally,
on the autoburn, when the burn stops, it may not fully shutdown the engine.
Sometimes the * key will kill the engine, other times not.

This seems to mostly happen when I walk away from the keyboard to do
something else, and figuring the burn will be finished when I get back,
so maybe it's just karma or something.

-Chris

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 04:41 PM ----------

I've narrowed it down a little I think. It seems to happen when using RCS Fore engine mode.

-Chris

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm having one other intermittent issue. It seems that occasionally,on the autoburn, when the burn stops, it may not fully shutdown the engine.Sometimes the * key will kill the engine, other times not.

This has happed few time for me too. I am trying to get it fixed.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I'm having one other intermittent issue. It seems that occasionally,
on the autoburn, when the burn stops, it may not fully shutdown the engine.

What triggers this problem for me is extended exterior view during the burn.

I've never had a problem with shutting down with the "*" key.

flying coffin

Reaction score
I've discovered one more thing. Brianj changed the launch heading of LRO to 94 degrees. Now,
LTMFD wants 6k+ dV for the TLI burn!

I can get around this by using IMFD for an ordinary TLI burn, stopping it about 30 seconds before it finishes, and using TLICC mode to finish the burn.

-Chris

flying coffin

Reaction score
I just tried LTMFD with 94 degree heading and actual LRO transit time of 108 hours. It worked great. DV was good, so the last time was obviously a boundary case that can be ignored.

-Chris

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The problem is that the transfer angle is nearly 180 degrees, the transfer plane is defined by vectors _r1, and _r2 where _r1 is position of the vessel and _r2 is position of the Moon and the normal vector of the transfer plane is a cross product of these two vectors. _n = crossp(_r1, _r2) now when these vectors are pointing in opposite directions the transfer plane isn't well defined.

There are some ways around this problem but I'll need to think about them some more.

flying coffin

Reaction score
OK, you've just made the light bulb in my head light up. Thanks for explaining it to me!

-Chris

flying coffin

Reaction score
I just tried the second LRO LOI burn (800 seconds or so) side by side
with IMFD and LTMFD. The goal was to go from a 3.60M X 216K orbit to
a 976k X 216k orbit. LTMFD was more efficient with burn time, and
put me in a 968k X 214k orbit, which is great!

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
LTMFD 1.01 Released

I have released new version of LTMFD. This version should address following issues.

- Engine shutdown issue.
I haven't been able to reproduce and test the issue. So, let's hope it's fixed.

- CTD due to missing SSE2 support.
This version should inform user about missing SSE2 support instead of CTD. I haven't been able to test this feature.

- Memory deallocation issue that's caused problems when restarting a scenario without exiting launchpad.

flying coffin

Reaction score
The new version seems to work fine. I've tried every way I could get the last version to
not stop the burn completely..... switching to external view, 10x time acceleration, leaving the vicinity of the computer while the burn is in progress.... It seems to completely stop
the burn now, no matter what you do. I haven't tried RCS mode yet, but I'm thinking at this point that should work fine too.

-Chris

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another superb navigational tool for Orbiter :) And almost ridiculously easy to use.

Like Flying Coffin, I'm using it for the LRO TLI and it works very nicely. I don't get the "engine-not-shutdown-completely" bug anymore (happened a couple of times with the initial release).

I find it more accurate than using IMFD "Target Intercept".

Excellent. Thanks Jarmo!

Creighton

Reaction score
Just did and AMSO circuit and LTMFD worked perfectly. Perfect luna orbit insertion with the historical eccentricity and spot on the target base. The return home was just as good with splashdown on target N/S and 3 deg off E/W. Far more accurate and easier than IMFD.

This is a great 40th anniversary apollo present. If anything it makes AMSO too easy. I remember the bad old days trying to land NASSP on the moon with luna landing mfd... tricky.

caningo

Developer-in-training
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I am curious why there is no ReA feature like in IMFD.. when I trying doing a TEI burn using AMSO, I burn in the atmosphere as soon as I get back to Earth. Any explanations? :hmm:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am curious why there is no ReA feature like in IMFD.. when I trying doing a TEI burn using AMSO, I burn in the atmosphere as soon as I get back to Earth. Any explanations? :hmm:

Yes, there is. You need to change "Mod" parameter from "Periapis" to "Reentry".

caningo

Developer-in-training
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, there is. You need to change "Mod" parameter from "Periapis" to "Reentry".

Forgive me Jarmo, I was mistaken in my terminology. I thought ReA = Reentry Anticipation, which is not the case. I'd like to know why there is no Ant parameter like in IMFD Baseapproach program. :thumbup:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, you are right there is no anticipation setting and that's because the splash down location isn't defined in LTMFD. I suppose it would be easy to display the splash down location but if you want to enter the splash down location in the LTMFD, then it would become more complicated and that's simply because the splash down location is something that you can't freely define. Valid region for a splash down is pretty small and if you define a location outside that region the LTMFD wouldn't be able to compute a transfer solution.

caningo

Developer-in-training
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, you are right there is no anticipation setting and that's because the splash down location isn't defined in LTMFD. I suppose it would be easy to display the splash down location but if you want to enter the splash down location in the LTMFD, then it would become more complicated and that's simply because the splash down location is something that you can't freely define. Valid region for a splash down is pretty small and if you define a location outside that region the LTMFD wouldn't be able to compute a transfer solution.

I understand now don't worry. Using the heading and reentry angle parameters is good enough for now. I shall wait patiently for the next improvements to come. Anyhow good job on this amazing tool.. my flights are more accurate and more fun to watch!

Cheers! :cheers: