OHM M-III Launch Vehicle v0.1.1

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: pipcard

M-III is a medium/heavy launch vehicle featuring first-stage reuse capability through propulsive vertical landing on a pad near the launch site or a downrange landing platform (barge). All stages of the M-III launch vehicle have a 5.39-m diameter and use liquid methane/liquid oxygen rocket engines. The single-core M-III has a payload capacity of 14 to 21 tonnes to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) and 4 to 8 tonnes to Geostationary Transfer Orbit (GTO) depending on whether it is reused or not, while the three-core M-III Heavy (available in a future release) will be capable of launching approximately 60 tonnes to LEO when expended. The primary contractor of the M-III launch vehicle is Mikubishi Heavy Industries. Commercial launch services are marketed by Hatsunespace.

This launcher uses a modified version of BrianJ's Falcon9R source code: http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6593

v0.1.1 - I forgot to put in the M-III pad mesh in v0.1, so I added it.

[Installation]

- (optional, but highly recommended) Install Negishima Space Center (http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6424), or its treeless version: (http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6741)

- (optional, but highly recommended) Install Vinka’s spacecraft4
(http://francophone.dansteph.com/?page=addon&id=202) and the Reusable
Crew Vehicle
: http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6737

- (required) Install OrbiterSound by DanSteph:
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=d

- (required) Install Payload Manager by Kulch:
http://kulch.spb.ru/Eng/PM_dwn.html

- Extract this .zip file to your Orbiter folder.

- Make sure to back up */Config/Earth/Base/Negishima.cfg and replace it with one of the files located in */Negishima_M-III.

- Scenarios are located in “M-III launch vehicle.” A generic blank version of the
rocket is included in “M-III launch vehicle/If you don’t have Negishima.”

- More information is located in */Doc/M-III Launch Vehicle.

[Disclaimer]

Hatsunia is an alternate-universe version of Japan inspired by the virtual singing
character “Hatsune Miku.” There has been a successful fan petition to place images of her on JAXA’s Venus Climate Orbiter “Akatsuki,” as well as amateur space hardware and rocketry projects associated with Miku. For more information, please see this thread: http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=35300

The M-III launch vehicle is mostly inspired by SpaceX’s Falcon 9.

Special thanks to Martin Schweiger for creating Orbiter, BrianJ for letting others use the Falcon9R source code, and many others in the Orbiter community for their support.

DOWNLOAD

Nicholander

Reaction score
Nice work! :thumbup: Are you going to finish that space station you were working on before after this?

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
Whenever I load an M-III scenario, Orbiter crashes. The reason is because of this:

>>> ERROR: Could not load vessel module: M-III/M-III
>>> [Vessel::LoadModule | .\Vessel.cpp | 5442]

Is there any way to fix this?

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
I was talking about all the scenarios included. I have no idea why the module would not load, and I bet you're on the same boat as I am.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was talking about all the scenarios included. I have no idea why the module would not load, and I bet you're on the same boat as I am.
Did you install Kulch's PayloadManager to your main Orbiter folder? I tested it on a clean install, without PayloadManager I got the same problem as you did.

Last edited:

turtle91

Reaction score
I have a similar problem.
For testing I have used the KSC 14 T RTLS scenario.
But happens on all other tested scenarious, too:

When I load-up the scenario:
-I can see the M-III and the launchpad
-I CANNOT see the "pad" and the "barge" meshes (the objects are there, but not visible)
-I can start the launch sequence...all fine until the stage-separation:

Module M-III.dll ............. [Build 160708, API 100830]
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>> ERROR: Could not load vessel module: M-III/M-III_barge
Finished initialising status
Finished initialising camera
Finished initialising panels
>>> Glideslope 2 module sim start
Finished setting up render state
D3D9Client: [Scene Initialized]
>>> ERROR: Could not load vessel module: M-III/M-III_stage01

After separation, orbiter crashes, with the above erros in in the log.
Regarding the non-visible meshes, I tried:
DX9 client (GDI-compat on and/or off)
DX7 client.
In all cases, the same isues with the non visible meshes and the crashes after/during separation.
Kulchs Payload manager is installed and works fine in other scenarious (I am using it a lot).

Maybe just a bad build ?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Could you try running the scenario on a new install of Orbiter (+ Payload Manager)?

The Pad isn't supposed to have a mesh, it is an invisible marker object (because Negishima uses the default non-vessel pads that come with Orbiter). But the barge was visible on the fresh install.

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
turtle91, I know how to fix the barge and landing pad problem. If you install the Falcon9R addon, replace both of pipcard's versions with the Falcon9R barge and landing pad respectively. It worked for me.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Also, I have the same problem regarding the Stage 1. Everything works up until stage separation. Then Orbiter crashes.

turtle91

Reaction score
Thanks, yes...replacing the barge with another vessel might be a workaround.
However, I tested the issue again, using a "clean" orbiter install (just ORBsound and PayloadManager).
In all cases, I got the same problem like before.
There must be something wrong with the stage01 and the barge - module.

The "pure" MIII-module loads fine:

but both, the stage01 and the barge gives both:

While the barge, just reports the error, but no crash.
As soon as stage01 loads-up, orbiter crashes right away.

Again the list of actions:

>>> ERROR: Could not load vessel module: M-III/M-III_barge
/////No crash so far...but no barge visisble....

then...when it comes to staging (or hitting "n" for forced stage)
>>> ERROR: Could not load vessel module: M-III/M-III_stage01
...and..crash of Orbiter.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just wondering, are you trying this on Orbiter 2010 (100830) or 2016? I noticed that BrianJ uploaded another version of Falcon 9 for the new Orbiter beta, but I'm not sure what to modify for that.

I honestly tried to reproduce this problem with only a newly unzipped version of Orbiter 2010, Payload Manager, OrbiterSound, and the M-III .zip package I had uploaded to Orbithangar, but I couldn't.

The caveat is that the M-III (whole rocket+second stage) .dll was compiled/linked using /MT (multi-threaded) option in Visual Studio, while M-III_stage01 and the barge used the /MD (multi-threaded DLL) option. I do not know whether that is causing your problem or not, but I couldn't get them to be all the same as that resulted in compiling errors.

Last edited:

turtle91

Reaction score
I have tested in Orbiter 2010(100830).
On my system is Visual Studio(2010) installed, too.
I have not much experience with it, but I will try a (re)build using my setup within the next days and let you know.

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
I have tested in Orbiter 2010(100830).
On my system is Visual Studio(2010) installed, too.
I have not much experience with it, but I will try a (re)build using my setup within the next days and let you know.

Me, too. I've been using Orbiter 2010 (100830) for many years.

turtle91

Reaction score
Ok, I have tried plenty of things within my build-env, but cannot get the objs to link to dlls.
I got plenty of "undefined symbols", even hat I have included payload-manager-sdk and orbiter-sound-4.0-sdk.
It would be really helpfull, if you could provide the sources as a MS-Visual-C++-ready-SLN/Project.
I am not an expert in MSs-IDE, maybe somebody else might have more luck/skills.

turtle91

Reaction score
Some kind of success:

I was able to rebuild the barge and the second stage.
The trick was, just to include only one C++ file into the project, and run the compile multiple times (one per C++ file).

I guess, there might be a more clean solution, but it worked for me.
So, I have tested "my" new build using the "14 T KSC RTLS" scenario, and all worked fine.
No more crashes during separation and I can finally see the barge(which looks nice..btw).

Because another user has similar problems with "separation-crash" and "no-barge", I have attched "my" builds below.
They should be placed in $OrbiterDir\modules\M-III\

Attachments

• M-III_rebuilds.zip
    27.9 KB · Views: 13

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

a few notes:

- I was originally planning to use a song called "Yumerockets" (Dream Rockets). It sounded amazing to me, and I was planning to use it for a M-III RCV launch video. But I tried looking up translations and found this video; the description didn't really clarify everything for me but it said that it's a song about "(somebody who) tried to escape from reality, but after all too timid to do it completely." I also asked Nikogori here about it, and they said the lyrics were "about a girl who wants to escape from reality but is afraid of never returning." Thus, I could not use it in a video depicting a launch to orbit.

- So I tried finding another song. It was not perfect (there are some lyrics that are not very fitting for a rocket launch; I tried to fit the mood by decreasing the saturation) but it is ultimately more hopeful in tone.

- The satellite (bus) is called Senritsu-D (Melody-D). I might release it when M-III Heavy is developed.

Last edited: