Problem making a shell in animator

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i am having a bit of troubble making a shell as a fairing in animator i started with a cilider i made it the shape of my fairing but how do i make it hollo?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Center your fairing along the centerline of the screen and ust the line drawing tool. Then using the [build] tab, select [lathe] from the drop down menu. Lathe along the long axis... Remember to input how many sides (24 for me seems to work nicely), and if you want the ends open or closed.
One of the guys here on the forum is working on a Falcon9, he had his fairing pictured on his blog, another Orbitnaut mentioned the "Shell" tool to beef up the appearance of the fairing. Using point-select (I think) the button looks like a "U" laying on it's side.
Do a search on the 'hanger for AR81's tutorial on modelling a rocket. It's what helped me get started.
And if you have any questions, ask away, I'll be happy to assist.

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Shell can't shell a closed object. There must be at least one open face to do it. If you are using the cylinder primitive, first double-click on the cylinder and turn one or both of the end faces off. Then go to Build/Convert to mesh, because Shell doesn't work on primitives, only meshes. Finally, shell should work.

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i have read all the tutorials in the past but the method you said to make a hollow fairing makes the faring so thing that when you look at the top you dont see anything

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually I took a slightly different approach for my Falcon 9 fairing. I created a cylinder that was the correct width and height, with only the origin end capped, then inserted a reference image scaled to the correct size of the cylinder. I shaped the full cylinder into the fairing shape, then deleted half of the points. From this I used the shell tool and added the thickness.

Unfortunately I've run into a couple visual anomalies, and have not had time in the last 1 1/2 weeks to work on it further.

**EDIT** I may try scaling the reference image down to the size of the cylinder, then delete the cylinder and use the line tool/lathe method to see if that works better. That may eliminate the issue I was seeing.

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
thanks for your guys' help i figured it out thanks again