OHM Marineris Base

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: jplaja

Marineris Base is an industrial mining water research unit located in the center of Valles Marineris, a large tectonic "crack" in the Martian crust. It is the largest canyon of the Solar System with 4000 km (2500 mi) long, 200 km (120 mi) wide and up to 7 km (23000 ft) deep.

The canyon's depth suggests that this location may be the best site for a manned outpost as it would have the highest natural air pressure on Mars. Equatorial solar irradiation and access to water would enhance this option still further.

The base has a main area for the subsurface mining and a drill site a few miles to the south in the Melas Chasma region.

The main terminal area has a runway, 2 landing pads and an extra one for larger vessels (Arrow Freighter). Two more landing pads are located near the mineral and water container tanks (east). There are 3 large circular units for subsurface mining connected by 2 parallel train lines. Power to the electricity grid is supplied by 4 massive solar power plants.

The drill site is located a few miles to the south, where an ancient freshwater lake has been found in the subsurface. It has a landing pad and a shuttle service to take workers to and from the drilling rig and for shipping cargo water to the main base.

Hope you enjoy some busy shifts in the Martian great canyon.

DOWNLOAD

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Have you lined this base up with 2015 beta so it will be inside the canyon and somewhat easy to get to?

jplaja

Reaction score
I'm not using orbiter 2015 but once this become the standard simulator the base should work just fine and the looks should be really impressive.

I00I

Not from this world
Reaction score
Well done..:cheers:
“Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.”:hello:

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm going to need some convincing for the need of a runway on Mars though. Rest of the base looks pretty good.

jplaja

Reaction score
Yeah, right. fps is 70 for the Marineris Base scenario. Still, it Works just fine.
Standard deltaglider scenario is about 43 fps.

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Master is right, I cannot imagine any sort of flight using airfoils to be an easy task on Mars.

jplaja

Reaction score
I'm going to need some convincing for the need of a runway on Mars though. Rest of the base looks pretty good.

A runway in Marineris Base is only for training purposes. Young resident pilots will need to master their atmospheric flight ability before been allowed a trip back to Earth. It also looks cool!
Thanks for the comments anyway. Glad you liked it!.
This is my second addon and it really takes much longer than it may look to get it all lined up.
If anyone could give a hand with the surface tiles it will be much appreciated.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The runway is useful to save on landing fuel moving forward using hoverthrust rather than landing on pads. Also useful on the moon, I have seen some moon bases with them like Luna2.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think they are even more useless on the moon. All you need is a wide flat spot to hover in on (like the Heinlein base, it has pads and a giant open field for things like the XR-5 and DG-EX). There isn't enough atmospheric density on Mars to use a runway like a runway; on Mars, Luna or any other airless body, unless that runway is really really really long. I think you would waste more fuel trying to get the approach lined up than you'd waste by hovering in.

But that's just my 2 cents. To each his own and we can all do whatever makes us feel good (twice if it's really good).

jplaja

Reaction score
I quite agree that runways are not as useful as landings pads on Mars. Before uploading the base I made some take-offs from the runway with the standard DG topping up on the trims. I found that you can hardly get a lift-off before the end of the runway and that you really need a bit of a hover push before running on the ground.
The atmospheric pressure on Mars varies according to altitude: at the bottom of Marineris canyon it is 10 times greater than at Olympus Mons. But still 100 times lower than on Earth.
Anyway, just enjoy the scenario! The runway can be erased at any time using OrbiterBaseMaker or from the base's config.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well you could land the XR vessels at around .2kms which would save .2km in Dv and using the wheel breaks. It would also be more challenging :hmm: (assuming you are going to land on the runway)

llarian

Reaction score
Bear mind that someone might develop a useful "green Mars" variant where the revised atmosphere would make the runway more useful. Let's just suggest that jplaja has put in future development possibilities.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Agreed, in which case a runway makes much more sense.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3032"]Green Mars II[/ame]
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4072"]Green Mars[/ame]