Mars and Moon surface textures

diggercam88

Reaction score
I hate to make another thread but I had one more question! I installed the Mars Level 10 Package and the Moon Level 9 package and when I proceed to land on the surface Its just a flat piece of land with no rocks or anything? Isnt there at least suspose to be hills or rocks? Its just like a flat piece of paper colored brown or gray?

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Yes. Orbiter is a space flight sim, and it is still work in progress, so mountains and terrain surface is not yet modelled in 3D. Such terrain would also require collision detection routines.

Artlav has been working on an addon that does it. It think it is Orulex or Meshland, which is also work in progress.

If you see Battlezone, you may have more detailed surface terrain, but the mission world is very small. In Orbiter you have to load all solar system and vessels and MFDs into RAM.

diggercam88

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guy's! Very useful info! Orulex seems to be a demanding program. I'll give it a shot!
Thanks again!

Oh and btw.... that earth texture is a beaut!

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Nah I never had performance issues with Orulex. It uses VERY simple algorithms to detect collisions. Also remember that the actual "physical" terrain is virtually infinitely thin, therefore your comp only has to sweat to draw the polygons onscreen, without any depth eating up your CPU ;).

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
So far I have not used Orulex -- besically because I heard from different people that it still has some issues. Is it actually stable and ready to use (sorry, I certainly don't mean to offend the developers, so I'm looking for opinions from people who have experience with Orulex).

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I need to run a few tests with it to give you an accurate answer to that. Like doing some unscripted tests (crash into phobos base landing pad, see if i bounce :D)