OHM Mars Olympus Base Surface Tiles

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: moodflow

Mars Olympus Base Surface Tiles

Note:  And updated version with larger, more blended tiles can be found here:  http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5995

These are my first official surface tiles.  They are 100% fictional, but add a sense of depth and perspective to your base approaches and departures.  I attempted to match the colors to the stock Mars texture, and blended the edges for a smooth transition.  

Provided you didn't change your stock Olympus base location, these should fit fine.  And being  four level 1 tiles, they will give you plenty of room for any future base upgrades and expansions.

Be sure to check out the included .txt file on how to add them.

Enjoy!

-Moodflow

DOWNLOAD

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'd add some rover traces on ground and marks of excavating/ground leveling near the buildings.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The tiles look pretty good, but the edges are pretty jarring. Is there any way to blend it out a ways so there isn't such a harsh edge?

picture.php

moodflow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The tiles look pretty good, but the edges are pretty jarring. Is there any way to blend it out a ways so there isn't such a harsh edge?

picture.php

Definitely agree here. However, the more the blending, the less of the actual surface tile you get. I'm still trying to figure out the best way of blending this out. It may require a larger amount of tiles, but not sure how much of a graphics hit this will be.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score

picture.php

The same goes with ANY base tiles in orbiter, I think.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
The same goes with ANY base tiles in orbiter, I think.
Not true. You can play with transparency to make smooth edges in surface base tiles, which makes them blending better with lower resolution tiles under them.

In this case however, it would require more surface around covered with lower resolution surface base tiles.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
All of my surface base tiles (Canaveral, Vandenberg, Baikonour, etc.) stand out sharply against my level 10 earth textures and block the nightlights, even if they are by themselves very beautiful.

I've noticed that they disappear when you are at a very high altitude. Is there a way to lower the altitude at which the base tiles disappear? That might solve the problem as well.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Is there a way to lower the altitude at which the base tiles disappear? That might solve the problem as well.
There will be a solution to that in the next Orbiter release -- i.e. no surface base tiles at all, but only planetary texture patches. :p

moodflow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I just added a new Olympus Surface Tile set with much more detail, area, and much better blending. It's also stacked, so the closer you get to the base, the greater the detail.

Keep in mind, this may bog down slower PC's.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5995"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5995[/ame]

I'm still working on a custom Olympus base which will feature even more detail, but that will come later.