C++ Question matrix operation needed for control mixing.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I have a set of simple 3x3 matrices that represent "mixing commands".

Code:
// Mixer for Quadrant 1
//		 X   Y   Z
//pitch		 0,  1,  0 
//yaw		-1,  0,  0
//roll		 0,  1,  0

In this example I want a positive pitch input to translate into 0 thrust along the quad's x and z axes and positive thrust along the y axis.

Sadly, I'm burnt out from work + finals and drawing a blank, on how to actually do it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That looks pretty much correct by the idea. You convert the input commands into a new coordinate system. Thus every column in the matrix should be the base vectors for the coordinate system: if you only want pitch, the first column should be the result of the operation.

You can also turn the input vector into the thruster level vector by a single matrix. You just need a matrix that has three columns and one row for every thruster you want to handle, so that the product "M * v" has one vector with one element for every thruster.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
So I went to bed and now, drinking my morning coffee, I know the operation that I need to perform.

:coffee:

Code:
// Where "VECTOR3 input" is the desired rotation around each axis and "MATRIX3 mQuad1" is the 3x3 matrix from before.

VECTOR3 v1 = _V(mQuad1.m11, mQuad1.m12, mQuad1.m13) * input.x;	// multiply pitch input by first row
VECTOR3 v2 = _V(mQuad1.m21, mQuad1.m22, mQuad1.m23) * input.y;	// multiply yaw by second
VECTOR3 v3 = _V(mQuad1.m31, mQuad1.m32, mQuad1.m33) * input.z;	// and Roll by third
VECTOR3 output = v1 + v2 + v3;					// combine result.

I recognize this as being a standard operation but I'm drawing a blank on it's name.

Last edited:

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I recognize this as being a standard operation but I'm drawing a blank on it's name.
Matrix multiplication?

You're just multiplying a vector3 (a 1x3 matrix) by a 3x3 matrix, which returns a 1x3 matrix, e.g. another vector3.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Matrix multiplication?

You're just multiplying a vector3 (a 1x3 matrix) by a 3x3 matrix, which returns a 1x3 matrix, e.g. another vector3.

It's not straight matrix multiplication.

For standard multiplication, "mQuad1 * vector", an input of ( 1, -1, 0) would return (-1, -1, -1) where as my operation returns ( 1, 1, 0).

I know there's a name for this but my brain's coming up blank.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 ----------

Knowing how I would solve the problem on paper, if not in code, I reversed the standard order of operations for columns and rows.

In other words I reinvented transpose-multiplication, AKA the "tmul ()" operator. :facepalm:

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

Again I blame exhaustion and lack of coffee for not realizing this earlier.

Last edited: