Idea Mercury and Gemini add-on improvements

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Launchable ATDA and working guidance file complete...

ATDA.jpg

Puma

Reaction score
It looks great. is there any beta of it ready for download?

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not yet. Final tweaks to do on LC14 for Agena and recovery ops + the scenario files.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Awesome work there !!

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Launchable ATDA and working guidance file complete...

Nice :thumbup:! If I knew how to rendezvous, I could totally spend hours with this intead of scenario editing. By the way, for my updated tracking networks, I added a Carnarvon station seeing it wasn't in the original Earth 1962 surface base pack (Carnarvon was Muchea's replacement when Gemini came around). Also added were the Goldstone and Indian Ocean Station (aircraft carrier).

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
80mileshigh did versions for both, but I haven't written a guidance file that would jettison the fairing the way it was intended (just the "angry alligator").

Columbia42

Reaction score
How is the fairing suposed to seperate.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

How is the fairing suposed to seperate?

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
If you want to fix something, just press Edit on the post. For the fairing, it splits in two if I'm not mistaken.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, the fairing splits in two and jettisons to the sides.

I may go back to that at a later date, but I'm trying to finish this release as a whole and if I keep getting sidetracked with every "neato" thing that catches my eye, I'll NEVER get it done!

At least we'll have an accurate, historic vehicle for Gemini IX to rendesvous with...

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Now that everything's fixed, will the release be soon, if not today?

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nope, not today. Animations for LC14 (Atlas Agena/ATDA version) completed...

Agena...
AGENAatLC14.jpg

ATDA...
ATDAatLC14.jpg

Was hoping 4throck could find time to do a ground mesh for LC14, but final details yet to be completed at LC19 & the recovery sequences (+ docs). BTW: the Gemini 8 recovery is too complex to accurately replicate in Orbiter. Though the recovery ship is a destroyer instead of a carrier, it will be a basic helicopter recovery. Still have the scenarios to write too...

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks, but there will be some abbreviated instructions on operating the new stuff in each scenario so I'll have to do them myself.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Last edited:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No, not a problem...in reality several aircraft were dispatched from the nearest US bases, divers were deployed to stabilize the spacecraft until the destroyer showed up & hauled them aboard.

The challenge in this scenario will be to land on the chopper deck of the destroyer...its tiny!

Actually, the recovery sequences are not altogether accurate anyway. You'll either have to fly back to the carriers with each astronaut, or send out a helicopter for each one, but it's something more to do with the Gemini add-on & more than we have now.

Graham2001

Reaction score
What you have completed to date looks very good. I'm hoping my old computer can handle it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The challenge in this scenario will be to land on the chopper deck of the destroyer...its tiny!

The destroyer didn't have a chopper deck at that time, it had the FRAM update after 1973. And that deck was just meant for landing special anti-submarine drones at that time. ;)

When Gemini 8 splashed down, the destroyer was still a unmodified WW2 gearing class destroyer.

Three hours later, as promised, the Mason pulled alongside and fastened a line to the spacecraft. Climbing the Jacob's ladder in sea swells of 4 to 5 meters was hard, but they made it. On deck, the tired astronauts managed smiles and greetings for the welcoming sailors. Still feeling nauseated, the Gemini VIII crew headed immediately for sick bay. Medical personnel helped them strip off their pressure suits. Their undergarments were soaked with sweat. They were thirsty, but clinical examination showed minimal dehydration. The Mason reached Okinawa the next day, and the two astronauts flew on to Hawaii, then home.
http://www.astronautix.com/flights/gemini8.htm

Would need to search the documents on the actual operations, but since the destroyer was taking part in Spacecraft retrieval exercises with NASA for years already BEFORE Gemini 8 happened, I suspect it was all more organized.

BTW... found many documents on the Atlas-Centaur launch vehicle on the NTRS, with a lot of information on the Centaur hardware in the Blockhouse...and just one wikipedia search more, 200 MB of PDFs of the 1966 computer used for checkout and launch control of the Atlas-Centaur... somebody interested? The first volume has all thinkable technical drawings of the Centaur stage and the payload fairing, like used for the Surveyor missions.

Last edited:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The destroyer didn't have a chopper deck at that time, it had the FRAM update after 1973. And that deck was just meant for landing special anti-submarine drones at that time. ;)

When Gemini 8 splashed down, the destroyer was still a unmodified WW2 gearing class destroyer.

http://www.astronautix.com/flights/gemini8.htm

Would need to search the documents on the actual operations, but since the destroyer was taking part in Spacecraft retrieval exercises with NASA for years already BEFORE Gemini 8 happened, I suspect it was all more organized.

BTW... found many documents on the Atlas-Centaur launch vehicle on the NTRS, with a lot of information on the Centaur hardware in the Blockhouse...and just one wikipedia search more, 200 MB of PDFs of the 1966 computer used for checkout and launch control of the Atlas-Centaur... somebody interested? The first volume has all thinkable technical drawings of the Centaur stage and the payload fairing, like used for the Surveyor missions.

Well, I could always try to get closer to reality...have some NAVY planes take off from Okinawa, deploy the divers and set it up so you could sail the Mason alongside Gemini 8 in 3 hours. Let's see...that would delay release until approximately....late summer...2011?